Oh no, not again

S

Stuart Bullard

I don't know if you all realise, but it was almost exactly one year ago when the storms first hit us, and we endured month upon month of flooded rivers. I remember well because it was the Sunday when my friend buried a lure deep into my head, followed by a Sunday night of storms and flooding (having just lost my job!).

So, one year later we have all of Octobers average rain fall in one day. Pleeeeease not again.

D

David Will

It is already upon us Stuart. The water tables in my area are so high that an EA chap visiting my lake last week thinks that it will be worse than last year.Essex and Cambs suffered terribly over the weekend.I am keeping everything crossed that last seasons disasters do not re visit.I wouldn't mind if we got the rain then a fining down but these days it is run off so fast it can be a torrent on the Thames one day and gin clear the next.I can understand why but the good old days etc etc jumpers for goal posts etc.

C

Carp Angler

Cambs had 3.5 inches of rain least night.
That is some level of water to be shifted.

W

Wendy Perry

Does alot of rain cause problems to the lakes and rivers etc for fishing ??????

S

Stuart Bullard

Wendy, it can be both a positive and negative. Lots of rain, after a dry spell can invigorate both rivers and lakes, however it can make fishing a bit more difficult (technically), especially for rivers. However, after all the rain last year, water tables are very high and the ground will become saturated quickly (if not already)which means even more water than normal enters the river courses and floods like last year could be common.

On the rivers I fish (Medway and Lea) you had about half a mile of water, in which the river was somewhere!!! My experience with lakes is limited to University work (I studied Climate, meteorology and hydrology, so its a pet subject). We analysed what impacted the thermoclines in lakes and resevoirs, and thermoclines are thought by some anglers (Carp??) to have an effect on feeding patterns. Flood waters (heavy rains) had a very big impact on the thermoclines.......had enough??

But the real bottom line is that, like on Sunday, when it was pissing down it makes it impossible because I stayed in bed (yes, a southern softie!!).

W

Wendy Perry

mmmmmm well i learn something new on here everday cheers stuart :eek:) Thats why i blanked on Saturday lol

L

Lewis Murawski

spot on stuart, although rain can indeed help certain rivers, such as the low clear ones (such as the nene etc), when they have started fining down, a lot of the debris and silt has had a good flush through and the fish love it.As you know colder water in dencer than warmer water so it can have a very bad effect on lakes where the water levels are a bit more definable.