What Knot?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Just bought some spade end hooks for Clattercote this Saturday, I have searched the rigs page for a knot suitable to tie them but to no avail! I am an eyed hook simpleton I'm afraid so any advice or knot name I can search for would be greatefully recieved, ta.

S

Shrek

Unless you have incredibly nimble fingers, go and get a Drennan Hook Tying tool from your LTS. Dead easy to use and makes a very neat finish.

As you're a fly fisherman too, you might try a nail knot as it's more or less the same thing, but like I said, you need very nimble fingers.

M

mark williams 4

In a sense, Paul. I know what Adrian's saying.

Twke his advice and get the hook tyer - top bit of kit, and comes with instructions

Paul H

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for punishment Mark, I like gadgets and things to make life easier however I do like to know how to do things the manual way too.

I've a reputation at work for asking questions, I like to be able to explain things or fall back on the basics if neccesary.

captain carrott

Reaction score
hooktiers are the basics, there is no benefit in knowing how to tie the knot by hand other than bluddi minded awkwardness.
once you get below about a size 12 anyone oevr the age of 12 can't do it because it's too fiddly.
so the only choices are get a hooktier or take a small child.

i'd opt for the hook tier because the small childs moaning that they are bored and running up and down the bank shouting will drive you mad and the fish into everyone elses pegs

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Paul, if you bring the hook tying line and the hooks to me at Clattercote I will tie them for you or you could buy one and follow these tying instructions. I prefer the Drennan type and have the same tyer I bought 30 years ago but its all a matter of preference and very very simple.

Paul H

Reaction score
Hooktiers are the basics, there is no benefit in knowing how to tie the knot by hand other than bluddi minded awkwardness.

Have we met before Jason? You seem to have the measure of me :eek:)

Cheers Graham, to be honest I hadn't thought about difficulties with smaller hooks so I may invest in a tyer after all, still looked up and learnt the knot though 'cos I'm bluddi minded like that.

njb51

Reaction score
spade end knot -

hold the line along the shank, make a loop at the bend of the hook leaving a tail, take the tail (keeping the line taught) and wind the tail around the shank of the hook from spade towards to loop, after about 7 turns, hold the lot and thread the tail through the loop you made, wet and pull on the mainline, gently until the knot closes.

this knot is made harder if everything is slack, so either put the hook on last, so that you can keep the line taught with the help of the rod, or buy a hook tyer.

njb51

Reaction score
Erm...........got me worried now.

I could indeed have the whipping the wrong way round. I haven't had to tie one in a while as I normally use eyed hooks.

I'm going to have to tie one now, but I have no hooks or line!

This is going to bug me all day!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That's the one Pikey, practise on larger hooks then move on to a size 22 to 8oz bottom, easy........Just make sure the line comes off the front of the spade not the back!
And as you've tied it yourself you can be totally confident with it, knowing the hook tier hasn't knicked the line!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Best thing to do is to get a set of pole rig holders for storage Paul and tie a batch of differing hooklengths in advance.That will mean you are not p...... about tying on the bank.

I've always tied by hand and have had no diificulties tying up to 20s.

captain carrott

Reaction score
"I've always tied by hand and have had no diificulties tying up to 20s."

show off.
i always tie mine at home using the hook tyer you can make sure everything is right then before you attach it to the mainline.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sounds like someone is starting to get serious!
Watch out lads, I reckon Pikey is a ringer and he is lulling you all into a false sense of security.
If he wants to up the pools to a tenner, say no!
Hehehehe.

;-)