Transporting livebaits

G

Gary Knowles

Thats all they need in Ireland now.

an explosion of carp...

B

Bob Watson

How many times has it gone on in the past? this is just the first time they've been caught, that I've heard of anyway.

Fancy a pastie with your guinness?? ;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Bloody right mate. There are damn pasties in Ireland already.

The danger will come one day when someone puts barbel in the Shannon.

I love barbel but there are times and places for them.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Transporting carp to Ireland is a spectacularly stupid thing to do. I hope they throw the book at them.

captain carrott

Reaction score
The danger will come one day when someone puts barbel in the Shannon.

dangerous when compare with rampant uncontrolled spread of rainbows over here.

there's a place for rainbows that place being america.

M

Mark Hodson

If they are being prosecuted then their names should be available to the public domain soon as a court date is set.

Kevin Ferguson

Reaction score
Its the sort of thing that gives all pike anglers a bad name, but as the law of the land says they are innocent until proven guilty, which from where i'm standing ain't going to be that hard.
what would the courts say if they said they were going to kill the fish and use them for deads just before getting on the boat?
I know it's illegal to transport fish without a section 30, but how does that stand when say driving home with a bucket of fish from a garden centre for your fish pond?

P

Phil Heaton

Thats a serious piking session.....200 livebaits for 2 anglers, SOMETHING FISHY HERE.....

James Mckenna 2

Reaction score
This has definately gone on in the past as Roach which are not a native species to Ireland were introduced many years ago as were Dace but they are not that widespread yet resident in Cork Blackwater & River Barrow and just recently Chub have been captured from the River Suck I believe!

Fergal Scully 3

Reaction score
Its dodgy enough transporting live fish around all right in terms of the bad name it gives to pikers but lets face it the fishery board has stocked carp into a number of waters that are connected to the main river systems of Ireland already. They are in the both the royal and grand canals. Recently a carp of over 10 pounds was caught in the river shannon at lanesboro in the hot water stretch. I myself saw such a fish while fish spotting from the bridge in lanesboro a few years ago and surprise surprise got no reply's from any enquiries I made to the shannon board.

There are no fears of carp explsion as they rarely spawn naturally in Ireland because of the high temp of water needed but I reckon the chub will do better. As for Barbel I would love to be able to catch them in ireland but wouldn't want to encourage you boys to stock them :)

L

Les Clark

Kevin ,"Transporting 200 lives and killing them just before boarding the boat" would be a weak defence dont you think ?
Why not kill them the day before and freeze them ,makes more sense ?

Kevin Ferguson

Reaction score
I totally agree Les, i'm just trying to highlight that that no-one has been found guilty yet until it goes to court and is proven that they fully intended to take live fish over to Ireland and use them for pike fishing.
Until that comes about who are we to judge and sentence them on an internet forum. It's Innocent until proven guilty isn't it?