Krystonite

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I've been using Krystonite in lower breaking strain for chubbing and perching and really like it.

I am now thinking of using it for my carp and tench fishing in higher breaking strains but would like some feedback on how it performs.

At the moment I'm using GR60 in 12lb and that is obviously very tough but maybe a little too stretchy as I do like fishing slack lines and margins.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Only used it for Barbel in the higher breaking strains. No problems with the Ribble rocks all season.

Should be ideal for the slack line aproach as the line sinks well.

Kevin Ferguson

Reaction score
I used in the 15lb breaking strain for carp and found it to be fine would definately be a good bet at a lower breaking strain for perch etc

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the breaking strains are accurate, I know the GR60 breaks a lot higher than the stated 12lb, I think it might be nearer 16 or 17lb.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

Just to see what happened, I tied a hook on with the 'forbidden' grinner knot (not recommended). Put the hook around the handle of a pair of scissors and rolled the other end of the line around a piece of dowel - then I pulled.

At a guess, I reckoned I must have been pulling over 30lbs before that line broke at the knot. The hook shot off somewhere and what worries me is that I never found it.

So now there's only two lines worth considering, Daiwa Sensor (cheap and good) and Krystonite (more expensive, but excellent). There are also-rans to fill dealers shelves and relieve you of cash of course.

J

john ledger

Excellent line Bill
My mate Mike Townsend from FM put me on to it.Wished they made it in smaller BS like 4lb or less
In the 1000mt spools also very good value,just use the Palomar Knot

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I love the stuff too, although I managed to cock up spooling up my reels for teh tench season and am suffering from line twistyitis. My fault.

G

Grant Lever

bit confused as to who's talking about which line,i know sensor is good and cheap,i dont buy anything else these days,dreaded grinner ?,never had any problems with it,if you use brute force line will break somewhere,and this is usually the knot ,no matter which you use,unless line has been weakened with a nick.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Grant, I was talking about Krystonite.

The type of knot does matter and with Krystonite it is possible to alter the breaking strain by a couple of pounds if you use the wrong one. This is true of most lines.

There are plenty of threads about different knots and I think Dave Chilton himself (Mr Kryston) has written everything you need to know on FM, somewhere.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I too am now a krystonite fan. I thought I would never change from Maxima. The knotless knot and the polamar have never let me down.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Cheers lads, Matt if you're getting line twist buy a spin doctor, it'll put it right after just a few casts, fantastic little piece of kit!

MOSSY

Reaction score
HI BILL IVE USED KRYSTONITE FOR NEARLY A YEAR AND HALF AND IVE NEVER HAD A LINE BREAK OR BAD LINE TWIST.THE WATERS IVE FISHED ON WITH IT HAS GOT ME SOME GOOD RESULTS.IT COMES OFF THE REEL PRETTY SMOOTH AND AS ITS A FLURO MIX LINE IT CAMOFLAGES WELL AND ANGLERS I KNOW WHO USED IT LAST YEAR AND TRIED SOMETHING ELSE HAVE CHANGED BACK TO IT.

MOSSY

Reaction score
FOR THE PRICE I RECKON ITS ONE OF THE BEST OUT THEIR LOOK AT THE QUALITY OF THE HOOKLINK BRANDS THEY DO,WHICH I USE A LOT,THEY SEEM TO KNOW THE CRACK

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Mossy turn the cap lock of. using capitals is like shouting mate. Richard i was also thinking of respooling with krystonite befor the fish in.

MOSSY

Reaction score
i agree with you paul it tells you on the reel pack