CAERPHILLY CASTLE MOAT JUST STOCKED WITH 500 CARP

nicky

Reaction score
My local club water has just been stocked with 500 carp in the 3-4lb brkt.

What is the best technique for targetting this size of carp

It's usually a hardwater to fish, a big rectangle featureless water, size of a couple of football pitches.

I was thinking of trying the method feeder with vitalin, brown crumb, hemp, on the one rod not sure what to use as hookbait, and possibly some close in work with the lift method on another rod.

I know they fished a match on the weekend and everyone used a open ended swim feeder and not a single one caught, one guy had two bream and that was the best catch of the day.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

When I saw it, ooooohhhhh, 12 years ago it looked a very cold water to me.

This year has also been cold, so has the water warmed up enough yet for the fish to be active?

When we were driving around the town loads of signs pointed here, there and everywhere to 'Ind Est'. I thought it was a quaint Welsh village or something. Boy, do those Taffies like to confuse you.

nicky

Reaction score
Jeff there's actually 3 parts to the castle waters, the part that they have stocked is called the north lake, and in my opinion is the hardest of the 3 lakes, and the one thats most pressured particulary by the specimen carp anglers.
I hardly ever fish it because i always bank for the easier option and tend to stick to the places i know on the other two lakes.
they have just planted lilies all around the edge just after stocking it so that should make it a bit more interesting so things are looking up.
You should have followed signs for the ind est you probably would have ended up down by the river rummney, which is a fantastic grayling river.

G

Gwyn Lewis

Hello , has anyone fished a pond in pentire , north wales its outside Bangor, thank you Gwyn

J

We stayed at a hotel across the A48 from the River Rhymney in Pentwyn. It looked very nice, a few slow glides and some faster bubbly runs. Sadly, I had no tackle with me at the time.

J

I tell you one thing I remembered about Caerphilly, I'd taken my stove down and a water bottle so we could stop places and make a brew, but I'd forgotten the kettle. Can you find a shop in Caerphilly that sells small camping kettles?

Can you ............!

nicky

Reaction score
I was late getting my license this year so yesterday was my first session after the newly stocked carp.
It was an evening session and was a bit of a rushed afair, by the time i got set up it was 7 o'clock but still time to catch a few fish i thought, unfortunately i blanked.
Bought some xpander pellets which were useless as i think they weren't meant for pole fishing, no good for the method or the waggler which were my two methods of choice.

Made four cast with the method clipped up to reach the spot,gave a sharp tug to remove the bait made one last cast and left it, then removed the line from the clip and marked the line with tape, used a short hooklink of braid 3-4 inches, with a piece of enterprise corn and enterprise maggot as hookbait.

for the method mix i used vitalin, hemp, and sweetcorn.

12lb sensor mailine, 8lb drennan micro braid hooklink. (there are carp upto 26lb)

Also fished the waggler, bread punch on the hook, (as the pellets i bought wouldn't withstand the cast) brown crumb and hemp as groundbait, four large balls to start with topped up every 20 minutes, i think i overdone it with the groundbait, (this method works on the front lake for bream) I sat there untill 9.45 two bites in total which came off and i think they were roach.

any ideas, as they fished a match earlier in the day which was one with 45lb, plus one of the regulars of about 14 years of age informed me that he fished from 4 o'clock and caught 6 pasties, plus 1 8lb carp and a nice bream so the fish were obviously feeding.