Great PAC response

Kevin Ferguson

Reaction score
It's nice to know a big club such as the PAC can show they are against the movement of fish in this way and show they are quick to respond, even though no one even knows if they are even PAC members.
Their is still a lot more to this incident than meets the eye and i know their is a feeling that it might be an anti angling group set-up.Its strange that this has all come at a time when AT ran a story about fish stealing.

Allan Griffiths

Reaction score
Interesting case this one, if it's correct then the culprits should feel the full force of the law, however if not and it is a setup from the Anti's then this should be made very clear in the press. Living in Norfolk we hear a lot about the alledged fish thefts from the Broads but as usual there appears to be no concrete proof that this is happening, surely by know someone would have seen or heard something if the amount of fish suggested is really being stolen and removed.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The big bream fishing in Ireland has already been all but ruined with the introduction of roach.

Kevin Ferguson

Reaction score
Graham cut a paste this link and i think you find another reason for bad bream fishing in certain parts of Ireland.
But Seeing as you have posted that remark on this thread are you blaming the decline of bream fishing in Ireland on pike anglers taking roach over?
As far as i know nothing as been proved yet has it as regards the report by CeFas?

http://www.totalcoarsefishing.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1147682769

Noel Kellett

Reaction score
Were these anglers planning to transport these fish to Ireland and then kill them before using them, as live baiting is actually illegal in Ireland.

Noel Kellett

honslow

Reaction score
I don't know the details myself, but I'd imagine it would be rather difficult for antis to hide live fish in an angler's van and then grass the person up to Cefas! I think we can discount the antis.
As for there being a livebait ban in Ireland, I'd suggest it's a far worse offense to smuggle live fish into the country than it is to fish with them once you get there!

Noel Kellett

Reaction score
I agree Greg, I was just pointing out that not only were they smuggling the fish, they were also (probably) planning to fish illegally when they got to Ireland. If the anglers in question are found to be guilty of the offense, then they should be thrown out of whatever organisations they are in and their fishing license revoked for a number of years. we don't need idiots like these ruining our fishing, and they should be dealt with properly.

noel

honslow

Reaction score
This doesn't bode well for the future of livebaiting as a practice though does it? The Lake District and potentially Scotland are citing the illegal transportation and introduction of live fish as the main reason for banning the practice of livebaiting.
Groups such as the PAC and the PAAS strongly condemn such behaviour, and rightly so. But here is yet more proof that some predator anglers are still doing it. The selfish actions of the few could eventually deny the rest the opportunity of using one of the oldest methods of catching fish...
The fact is that livebaiting could eventually be banned. Ironically, it won't be because the public or the antis view it as unacceptably 'cruel', but because some anglers are just bloody selfish and stupid.
Throw the book at them!

M

mark williams 4

"If the anglers in question are found to be guilty of the offense, then they should be thrown out of whatever organisations they are in and their fishing license revoked for a number of years."

But that this were true, Noel. As far as I am aware, fishing licences aren't like driving licences. You just go and buy one, and I doubt is CEFAS 'talks' to the EA.

I'd be very pleased to hear that I'm wrong....

Kevin Ferguson

Reaction score
i agree that the anglers in question should be punished and hopefully they are in one way or another, this situation i feel could in fact go towards contributing to a blanket live bait ban country wide, but merely by banning live baiting won't stop it, anglers will still do it.
As for revoking licences, if they are prepared to transport fish across the channel do you really think taking away their licence's will really stop them from fishing?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Kevin Ferguson: "Graham ...... are you blaming the decline of bream fishing in Ireland on pike anglers taking roach over?"

I think you're reading things into remarks that aren't there. I'm saying exactly what I said, that the big bream fishing in Ireland has already been all but ruined with the introduction of roach.

No more, no less.

But just to make it crystal clear, "No, I am NOT blaming the decline of bream fishing in Ireland on pike anglers taking roach over.