bainton

Disco stu

Reaction score
Hello Dudes.
I have just been looking on tinternet at a place called Bainton Fisheries. It is a limited membership but not a lot of info about it.
I wondered if any of you lads know much about it, it is about 4 miles from Stamford.
Cheers.

Disco stu

Reaction score
Cheers Sash.
I was looking for some reasonable tench/carp fishing, no all nighters reasonably close to me Oakham, and a guy in the Corby tackle shop mentioned Bainton.
I wanted a bit of info about it before shooting over to have a look, the web site gives some info but you cant beat some first hand knowledge.
Saying that the membership is closed but you can send an application with payment in case someone does not renew.
Is it a commercial or natural lakes? would it be worth the money? I would be doing most of my fishing there. I cant access any pictures only an areial view.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
ask yoggy....he knows a bit about the place.i was going to apply for membership this year but am going to get a wellingboro club book instead,maybee i`ll look at joining next year???

S

sash

Been a member for 5 or 6 years. The lakes are gravel pits, between 40 and 12 years old, left very natural. Membership is closed and only those not renewing are replaced. This year's renewal system has just finished I believe, not sure how many dropped out but I do know that the enquiries outnumbered the existing 170 membership. No day tickets at all.

There are 8 pits of varying sizes (mainly 12 to 18 acres) with the largest at about 40 acres. The website, ww.baintonfisheries.co.uk will tell you everything you need to know re species.

Are you a member Yoggy?

honslow

Reaction score
I heard the cormorants have had a lot of small fish from Bainton but can't confirm as I'm not a member (the rumours infuenced my decision not to join).
Disco, if you've got transport head to Sywell reservoir (see the Tenchfishers website for details). Now open in the closed season with nightfishing available if you want it. The average size of the tench is 7lb-ish! Doubles a strong possibility. Day tickets are ?8. Check next week's Angling Times for details.

Disco stu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies lads, I am going to have a look at it tomorrow allthough I dont think there is any chance of membership, pity as it is only 15 miles away. I may mention that I am an Inspector for Anglian Water and hint that a few "favours" may be possible. :)
Greg, I was thinking about Sywell now its been sorted out, I used to live near there untill the 90s, used to fish it a lot, loads of good fishing in and around Northampton, I wish I had not moved to Oakham now, no decent fishing, no old fishing mates to meet up for a drink and they all talk funny round here!

honslow

Reaction score
The upper Welland is a great chub and roach fishery Stu. There are lots of specimen carp and chub and barbel in the Nene too. Plus there's loads of great free stillwater fishing around Peterborough once you find it.
You'll have to take up fluff-chucking if you want to catch fish near home though!

Disco stu

Reaction score
Im a member of Wellingborough and District they have some nice water Greg, still and river, Im waiting for Barnwell to open.

Disco stu

Reaction score
I cant do fly fishing, athritis in wrists, so I cant flog the log, oops, the rod, all day long.
Allthough I have bought a hat similar to Rons last week because I liked the look of it, does this mean I am getting past it or are all the years of self abuse catching up with me???

honslow

Reaction score
Must confess I have something similar to and get a right ribbing every time I wear it!

S

sash

Not surprised.........!

The cormorants have had a lot of fish but then I guess it's the same on all the pits in the area.

You could try Lolham (annual membership), which is a few hundred yards nearer Deeping than Bainton or one of the Maxey complex lakes. Gerrards in Maxey might suit you for a day session hauling carp?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Tj.....if memory serves me correct,they have a website with all the relevant details you need etc.... try looking for it via google,i`m sure thats how i stumbled accross it???

Sash,did you got to the talk mick brown gave there last year??? Yoggy and myself went....very intresting.

Y

yoggy

Sash,

I was a member mate but after careful consideration decided to pull out last year.

S

sash

Sorry guys just seen this.

Nick,

Couldn't make it on the day, sadly, but I still see Mick here and there occasionally.

Yoggy,

Shame. It's a very nice place even though the focus is swinging more towards the carp (thanks to cormorants and a fish kill on one of the pits).

honslow

Reaction score
Yoggy, fancy meeting up for a welland chubbing session before the end of the season? I'll show you THE stretch! Ha, ha.

Y

yoggy

Sash, it is a nice place mate I admit. I used to enjoy visits there.

Despite Bainton being run very wellI`m afraid like alot of places you always seem to get "Mr Wiseguy" and his tosser mates spoil the tranquility with one thing or another!!.

Which is one of the reasons I decided to leave.

Greg, I`ll email you.