Wild carp (wildies)

laurence garrrett

Reaction score
Can anyone give me more info on wild carp? Do they still exist? If a water contained wild carp and was stocked mirrors, commons etc would the wild carp gene pool become diluted to such an extent that the wildies would die out due to cross fertilisation? Any lakes, ponds or rivers in the Bristol or south west areas that may contain wildies?? Any info at all will be greatly appreciated.

T

The Monk

Basically yes, the gene pool would be polluted with the king strains (genetically modified varieties), I believe a few waters may still exist which could hold wildies, but they will now be very few and far between, the last time I caught what I considered was a true wildie was in 1974 from a local, would you believe monastry pool, sadly the pool has since been reclaimed by vegitation over the years. The king strains have a much greater growth rate that the endemic British wild strains, a wildie of double figures would be an exceptional fish, the best I ever took was a fish of just under 5LB and I can still remember the way they fought, the only comparison I can think of in modern terms are the American and Canadian river carp

T

The Monk

I can remeber me old sparing partner Peter Mohan writing about a Bristol wildie water back in the seventies, cant remeber much about it though? Easton in Gordano???

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I wonder just how much the gene pool is affected when king carp are introduced to a wild carp water.

Two waters I fish in the West Sussex area contain both sorts and the distinction is quite clear. The wildies rarely get much over four or five pounds whereas the king commons grow to ten pounds or more in one of them; in the other they both grow to about twice that size.

Be that as it may, I know of three other Sussex waters which certainly contain true wild carp, though two of them are thankfully closed to anglers. The water you can fish is actually a series of ponds in woodland near Horam; it used to be available on a day ticket from the farm and you can stay at the adjacent campsite.

One of the 'closed' waters forms part of a rural museum's grounds; the other is the moat around a well-known Sussex castle. In both I have watched people feeding bread to the ducks; sooner or later the wildies move in and the ducks are driven off. The castle moat also holds a few large Koi which can be clearly seen from the top of the battlements.

Someone will no doubt wonder why I said earlier that it was a good thing that on some waters holding genuine wild carp angling is prohibited, if I don't offer an explanation. There is a real danger that we could lose the wild carp only lakes that remain, because sooner or later anglers will complain that the carp only grow to a few pounds - why can't they be stocked with some larger fish?

Even if the gene pool is unaffected the introduction of new stock can have unsatisfactory consequences; too many large, fast growing carp will cause the wild fish to graually decline in numbers and eventually they could die out completely.

A couple of years ago on another forum I suggested the concept of a Wild Carp Society, dedicated to preserving the true wildie strain and the waters that hold them, much as the Wild Trout Society look after some excellent brown trout streams. There was a few appreciative comments but no-one seemed that interested, which was a shame. Not being in a position to actually implement such a venture I had hoped someone would make some constructive suggestions.

Whilst there are still a few lakes holding the old strain (and with no king carp present) which are left alone (in other words, not stocked by misguided angling clubs or unscrupulous owners in an attempt to attract instant anglers) there will at least be a few examples left, from which stocks could be replenished.

Maybe, if enough licence-paying anglers supported the venture, the EA could implement a programme to create some wildie fisheries for those who appreciate more subtle qualities than sheer poundage.

T

The Monk

yes a nice thought Fred, the old Wildies ceretainly had a lot more going for them than some of the deformed modifications you see in the angling press these days

C

Christian Tyroll

i like Freds idea,
Monk if a double figure is exceptional my dads been pretty lucky, he caught an 11lber last season, ive managed them to 8 3/4lb and would agree on how hard they fight!
on saturday evening we where fishing for 2 hours hooked five carp and only landed 1. were fishing 6 1/2lb line straight through. next time its 12lb lol, when they get going you cant stop them as soon as they get into a snag its shere luck if you get it out. btw the one fish landed was 3lb and very long and in perfect condition, i reckon they resemble barble more than modern carp!!!!

i would like to think theres a few more waters like this one around???

by the way Fred if your into these wildies i can put onto a really nice water in sussex area, hardly anyone fishes it really, 13 acres and you will normally have to it to yourself! if your interested give me a PM!

laurence garrrett

Reaction score
Thanks chaps for your replies. Sorry i have'nt responded earlier but i've been fishing.
Monk, the water you talk about at easton in gordano is, i think, Ham Green lakes from where i've just returned from a 3 day sesh. If there were wildies present in this lake, i fear they are no longer due to an extensive fish kill in 1994 when some prat put in some unscreened french carp. However, the search continues. Many thanks.

T

The Monk

cheers laurence, good luck with your quest for (Wild) carp mate