Did you have some

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to a Heavy frost outside, thats in hertfordshire.

Did anyone else get Frost this morning. Not been in long from walking the dogs tonight, it's clear and cold, could be in for more frost if it doesnt cloud over.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to a Heavy frost outside, thats in hertfordshire.

Did anyone else get Frost this morning. Not been in long from walking the dogs tonight, it's clear and cold, could be in for more frost if it doesnt cloud over.

No - but visited friends in Holmer Green, near Amersham, this afternoon - 15 miles from Ickenham - and they are still wary of putting their bedding plants out because of frost. We've had ours out for three weeks. On a lighter note, whilst sitting in their garden enjoying the sunshine, in could see between 8 and ten red kites in the sky at any one time at low level - 100' maximum gliding the thermals. Really surprised (hardly see one these days) until I ‘phoned my son, who’s a biologist, and he informed me of the following: Can’t remember his words exactly so I did a cut and paste from the net. Nothing to do with fishing but I thought I’d post it anyway.

Red kites were driven to extinction in England by human persecution by the end of the nineteenth century. A small population survived in Wales, but there was little chance of these birds repopulating their original areas.

Between 1989 and 1994, kites from Spain were imported and released into the Chilterns by the RSPB and English Nature. Red kites started breeding in the Chilterns in 1992 and now there are over 300 breeding pairs in the area.

Since 1999, chicks have been taken from the Chilterns to re-introduction sites in other parts of the country.

The red kite re-introduction has proved to be one of the greatest conservation success stories of the 20th century.:)

PaSC (failed)

Reaction score
No...but it was chill. I remembered to bring my parsley seedlings indoors. God knows why? They're looking poorly in that way the word beginning with f so effectively describes!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No frost where I am...not that I got up early to look for it but it is a bit nippy tonight.

Red kites are common all across the Chilterns now .We regularly get them over the garden. Magnificent birds...but I'd swap them for a few cuckoo. Not heard one yet.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
whilst sitting in their garden enjoying the sunshine, in could see between 8 and ten red kites in the sky at any one time at low level - 100' maximum gliding the thermals.
They're perhaps the fifth commonist bird flying over our garden and no kidding. Chaffinches, Robins, woodpigeons, blackbirds, and kites, roughly in that order.

Greenfinches aren't as popular as they once were and sparrows are as rare as rocking horse droppings. One chap down the road must feed them on something but there's often 20 or more flying around at any one time - and I'm talking down to ZERO feet. I was weeding in the garden the other day and had to duck. :D ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Greenfinches aren't as popular as they once were and sparrows are as rare as rocking horse droppings. . :D ;)

Are sparrows making a comeback? Used to be common in Uxbridge 25 years ago then disappeared for the last 20 years (London as well). Moved to Ickenham two years ago and the little chaps are everywhere, queuing up at the pond for a drink and scavenging around your feet when having a bbq.

PaSC (failed)

Reaction score
Sparrows have been showing in greater numbers around here. greenfinches are certainly rare up here...although have seen more goldfinches this year in rave Stockport than for many a while...and long tailed tits too.

And the sand martins are down the road in the banks of the Mersey...although not seen the blackcaps by their usual tree this year...and no kingfishers yet either!!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sparrows have made a come back, West ham haven't......:)

Plenty of green woodpeckers, but the house Martin's have vanished. I put bedding plants out over the weekend and some more last night. They seem Ok, but another frost tonight might see a few die off.

little oik

Reaction score
We were according to aunties weathermen with the possibility of the odd shower .However no frost and its been p.p.p.p.p.p.pi .pi pi pis . persistent rain all day but hey we are green after all

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sparrows have made a come back, West ham haven't......:)

Plenty of green woodpeckers, but the house Martin's have vanished.

Funny that...I hardly see a house martin nowadays either.There are a few sparrow near me but only a few. Plenty of greenfinch but the chaffinch & tits [West Ham ?] seem to have taken a big hit over the winter. Haven't seen a bullfinch for years...and starlings are nowhere near as common as they used to be either.Just down the road from me at the landfill site near Beaconsfield there are literally flocks of Red Kite. Buzzards too but kestrels are much less common.

But there are hordes of collared dove and magpies everywhere. What do they know that the sparrows dont ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Must be Springwatch soon
The time of year when Kate updates each evening about her bluetits:D

PaSC (failed)

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
No frost this morning, so the bedding plants are ok.

Seen more yellow wagtails this year, and the Thrush is back, ( No i dont need a Doctor, not that kind of thrush.:eek:).

Strange morning, warm windy at times, and looks like it is going to rain, hope so cos we need it.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Yellow wagtails are rare Ray, sure they weren't grey?
I was thinking that. I have probably only seen two yellows in my life. Yellows are very yellow and at first you think they might be an escaped budgie until you take a second look.

We used to tease the birdwatchers on a local pit when they came and stood near us chinwagging about what birds were where. Told them we'd just seen a yellow in a thicket of trees and off these blokes would go trying to find it. :)

Can't stand these damned parakeets though.

The red kite re-introduction has proved to be one of the greatest conservation success stories of the 20th century.
Found this whilst looking for some other pictures of weirs etc.

Taken from the front garden about three weeks ago. Couldn't get them all in, must have been 20 or more and lens not wide enough and even if so, detail would be too poor.
jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2540-kites.jpg

michaels

Reaction score
No frosts around here, so the bedding plants etc. are OK.

Last edited: