paying for 1 rod or 2???

newbieneil

Reaction score
im due to go fishing 2morro for the first time since the last day of the river season ,im going to astwood bank fishery in worcester for the first time and its £7 for one rod all day or £10 for 2 ... now i dont ever really fish 2 rods at the same time but i usually start float fishing and then switch to feeder fishing if i get no bites(or vice versa)...so if im only using one rod at a time but ive got 2 rods set up should i have to pay for 1 rod or two?

chav professor

Reaction score
Only pay for one rod. Its really for anglers fishing two rods in the water at the same time. e.g. sometimes I fish a float rod and have a second rod sitting on rod rests with an electronic bite alarm. probably better to fish one rod properly:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You pay for the number of rods in use at any one time surely. I will die in a ditch before I pay to have a second rod set up beside me.

And on the subject of two rods I dont know how you lot do it. I can just about cope with 2 rods if I'm doing the same on both ie predator or carp fishing but I simply cannot be doing with one float rod and one leger rod. I've tried but gave it up years ago because I felt I wasn't fishing either rod properly. I need to be concentrating on what I'm trying to do and for me a second rod is just a complete nuisance and a distraction.

stikflote

Reaction score
I would agree with S Kippy, i cant fish two rods either
with getting in all sorts bother

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
if you're fishing one rod and another set up then pay for 1

you only pay for what you are fishing

other way carp boys would pay for 3or 4 rods fishing , plus a marker rod plus a spod rod plus a stalker rod - I know they have the money to burn but even they draw the line at that:w

newbieneil

Reaction score
thanks for replying guys...im used to fishing on secluded rivers really where you dont really get bothered about things like that and daft rules on baits etc etc,as im fishing a new water i thought i`d put the question out there just to be sure, i dont own a rod pod or alarms and sitting behind 2 rods on alarms is not my bag of chips really but i like the freedom to change method...fishing 2 rods is asking for trouble i reckon unless your with a mate that can grab one if you get into double header situation! ... i bet most of you will have been like i have at somepoint holding a rod locked in each arm ,back breaking trying to hold them up wondering what your going to use to hold your landing net!!! ...or trying to weigh up which one feels the smaller fish before you pass that rod to your mucka!

chav professor

Reaction score
That's the best way to roll! secluded rivers are what its all about for me. Just counting time on still water till june 16th.............

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the concensus here, you only pay for the rod that you are actually using; you can set up as many as you like, but only use one at a time then only pay for one.

Think about it another way, if a match angler had to pay for every 'rod' he set up (and I'll include spare top 3's and 4's for pole fishing) then you'd be shelling out a fortune at every match.

We'd typically set up 3 or 4 float rods, a couple of lead or quiver tip rods and then the whips and poles and spare tops . . . . . I shudder to thihk what that lot might have cost . . . . LOL

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I agree with the general concensus of only paying for the number of rods in use at any one time. If only one bait is in the water then you should only pay for using one rod.
Personally I always use one rod when float fishing or quivertipping but usually use two when using bobbins or similar modes of bite indication.
I agree with the point made on this thread regarding using one float rod and one ledger rod. I think this is just wrong as it is not possible to concentrate on both. Some of my mates adopt this practice but i would never do this myself and think it is bad angling practice.
Commercial day ticket waters are usually very well stocked, often overstocked, so one rod is usually sufficient saving £3 per day unless you really feel the need to use two rods.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to add: I'd rather stick to the one rod and 'invest' the saved money in more, better or different bait.

But then I'm rather O.C.D. when it comes to my baits preferring to have a good selection to chose from and all as fresh as possible, unless it's Dave's "special" chesepaste that is . . . . . .

chav professor

Reaction score
I forgot to add: I'd rather stick to the one rod and 'invest' the saved money in more, better or different bait.

But then I'm rather O.C.D. when it comes to my baits preferring to have a good selection to chose from and all as fresh as possible, unless it's Dave's "special" chesepaste that is . . . . . .

Is that Dave Gamble's cheese paste per chance?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think we should start a magic Chub cheese paste thread?

I think you can still search for the threads we've had in the past, and Dave Slater's excellent Chub fishing Articles too.

Otherwsie, why not, it would make a pleasant change from the anxious ramblings about the close Season; which I support 100% b.t.w. the Close Season that is, not the anxious ramblings . . . . . . . .

[insert U-No-Wot > > > > > HERE]

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
[/COLOR]
I ordered two licences for myself and two for my youngest son from the post office. The EA sent us three each. I don't know what that was about, I occasionally use three rods, I don't ever expect to use six!

Blo0dy heck, another four have just come in the post. At this rate I'm going to have more licences than rods.

I wonder if their computer has gone t1ts up and they are doing the same nationally.