tattershall lakes?

Beecy

Reaction score
if its the Tattershall leisure complex by the Witham, I used to fish these about 15 years ago.

The main lake was for waterskiing and I never fished it. The "Island" lake was full of bream in the 2lb - 5lb bracket and was always very good wenever I fished it, I have won a few club matches on it with 30-40lb ish.

The smaller lake (pond) was called the Rudd lake, and as the name suggests held some realy nice Rudd, this one was very peggy, I once won a match on here with 9 Rudd for about 16lb, one of the nicest nets ive ever had, and the next best weight was only ounces!

As I said though, this was way back in the early 90's, they have probably filled them in with brown goldfish now !

Ryan Bamborough

Reaction score
Do they have PIKE at all because i am a begginer and am abit unsure how to handle them as i never seen anyone try to catch them which lake was they..what do you mean by (peggy)

Beecy

Reaction score
if you are just fishing for anything that swims with say maggot I dont think you have to worry about getting a pike.

"peggy" means that the fish are only present in numbers in a few swims rather than spread about. As i said, on one match i had a good catch but the 2nd placed guy had only a couple of small fish for a few ounces and most of the lads blanked.

Have I got the right place then Ryan ?

if so please let me know what its like now after you've been

Beecy

Reaction score
yes, we are talking about the same place Ryan.

Good to see from the web site that it doesnt seem to have changed much from when I used to go.

In fact I'm now tempted to give it a vistit again myself, just think, if I had a net of 9 Rudd for 16lb all that time ago what size would they be now! ( dont know how long Rudd live for though )

You say you are a begginer so its difficult to advise you on how to approach the fishing without knowing a bit more as to your experience level.

I would fish the island lake with groundbait feeder. Simple brown crumb in the feeder with a sprinkling of caster & pinkies/squat and red maggot on an 18 hook, 4lb reel line 2lb hooklenghth.

for the Rudd lake id fish maggot only, waggler up in the water feeding little and often on a nice warm/still day or magot feeder with a fairly long hoklength if it is too windy to fish the float.

anyway, hope you have a good time, and please let me know how you get on as this place used to be a favorite of mine and i'd forgotten all about it until your post.

by the way, there is a tackle shop on tattershal bridge "riverside tackle"
( I had the number somewhere but cant find it) I,m sure if you pop in they will give you any info you need

come to think of it, if youve got the time, give the Witham a go !

Ryan Bamborough

Reaction score
cheers dint understand some of what you said.haha. but you seem to definatly know what your on about fishing wise...dont know about football id go for a decent team like DONCASTER ROVERS for instance

jimj40

Reaction score
Well it has been bl**dy wet here today so I didn't get to Tattershall Lakes but did mooch around Moon Lake to see what was what; they were catching well on sweetcorn and Lidl cat food. One guy had a 20lb carp to lobworm - I watched him take about 45 minutes to land it (foul-hooked) with a pretty light pole and an under-sized (for the fish) landing net...

Ryan Bamborough

Reaction score
cheers 4 all the advice i caught my first and best tench there 9lbs ish.i was on the duck lake.didnt fish any others all thought a freind visited me there who fishs ohalm or oham lakes frequently and had fun there cheers for the advice
ryan

samfromstoke

Reaction score
i just booked a weekend away there wots the lakes like?

Please contact Tattershall lakes to check which lake next too
If You are camping or are in a tourer then you will be close to Island lake access limited due to private static vans, Rudd lake is quite a distance from main park trolley needed plenty of silver fish can be caught. Duck lake a lot of pegs rented out for season by the lodges

flightliner

Reaction score
i just booked a weekend away there wots the lakes like?
Ryan, I dont know when you are booked in but either way dont miss the opportunity to have a walk along the banks of the river Bain that flows very close to the complex. Even if its the close season take some bread in the evening and sit quite while you let some good sized pieces drift downstream. After a while you will see them dissapear as chub take them from the surface, some good fish. I used to enjoy the river way way back. Great little river. I also used to fish the lakes but that was when no one was interested in them but the main days fishing back then was the Witham during the day.
While you're there have a nice beer in the Fortescue arms and ask if anyone remembers Ernie parlour-- racanture and local celebrity, you will be sure of a good conversation-- he was one of the old time village characters.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Flightliner can you PM me; I still fish in this area as I'm from Coningsby originally, I'd like to hear your experiences! The Bain is in good order. Tattershall has been covered here, there is also a small complex at Tattershall Thorpe worth a look.