Coarse fisherman magazine

Spiros

Reaction score
IN this months Coarse Fisherman magazine a writer claims to have caught 218 barbel from the river Wharfe in Yorkshire in the year 2005. Taking out the close season and a couple of winter months that would average at least one fish per day! I have fished the wharfe extensively and know of several experienced anglers who have cuaght nothing like that number of fish. The wharfe is not known to be a productive river like the severn ot teme so the maths just don't add up.
READ THE ARTICLE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!

E

EC

Thats nothing, I know a fella who had 645 barbel out the wharfe in 1 season.

He thought he was dead hard until me, our kid, and 6 of our mates battered him!

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

You're talking about Mick Wood.

Never met the man, but I've heard he is a .... hot angler! Well respected.

Then again, they said he lived near the brewery in Tadcaster and the fumes have sent him doolally. So he may be dreaming it. :eek:)

T

Tony Rocca

Spiros,
I have fished the wharfe for 20 odd years. Its not difficult to catch 5,7,9 or more barbel at a sitting once you know how and where. The best catch I know of is 18 (Paul Owens) and I saw a friend of mine hook 14 on Jan 12th 2002, I remember the date because it was my birthday.

Mick Wood lives by the river and fished it a lot at the time. He knows the river well as you might expect.

I have no reason whatsoever to doubt he caught 218 in 2005.

Your "experienced" anglers aint so hot it seems.

E

EC

firstpostgotanagendatastic!

Good evening Tony, what crisps 'you doing' these days?

T

Tony Rocca

Bit of a health scare Eddie at the moment, potato based snacks of the menue.

I think it unnatural to eat anything green but the doc doesnt agree.

T

Tony Rocca

Had a bag of salt'n'shake (without the salt on) today but dont tell anyone.

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Spiros

Mick Wood is a good friend of mine and I can assure you he's had that many fish off the Wharfe. He lives near the river and fishes it very regularly. He's also an exceptionally good angler, a member of the Barbel Catchers
and he co-edited the book Barbel Rivers and Catches.

Incidentally, in addition to those fish off the Wharfe he's had a good few off the Trent and the Warwickshire Avon as well!

F

Fred Bonney

Methinks,Spiros was trying to get a hit,perhaps another knocker in disguise?

Name: Spiros Papaglimis

Usual river: Wharfe, Yorkshire

Experience: 1 year barbel, 20 years fishing with a few breaks

Best fish: 6lb

S

Sean Meeghan

Hmmm.....

Was 50 yesterday so feeling mellow. Give him the benefit of the doubt!

Spiros

Reaction score
Fred,
My post was genuine - I don't know what you mean by knocker, please explain. The information you have displayed is out of date by two years.
The fact of the matter is that the the numbers of fish given do not add up. Do the maths yourself.
I don't doubt Mick's anging ability in any way either.

E

EC

Spiros if you think that the numbers of barbel caught is kak, your best bet is to write to the magazine and have your say, and tell them that.

They aren't scared of printing letters that might upset people, as this months letters page proves!

Just remember to put your name and address on the letter, and I am sure that if you can back it up, you'll get printed!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I used to fish the Wharfe many moons ago and I disagree that it is not prolific in certain stretches.I had days when you would get up to 10 although of no great size.

Mick Wood is a resepected barbeller and I think Spiros, with all respect, you will get few who accept your argument on this one.

J

john conway

I've done the maths and it is possible for a dedicated angler to take that many barbel if he knows the hot pegs, even taking out the winter months. It?s getting the big ones that?s the difficult bit. I know several good anglers on the Ribble who fish about three times a week who could hit these numbers if they just went for the smaller shoal fish and I?ve no doubt the odd big one would show up form time to time as well.

Paul. Owens

Reaction score
Hi All
Yes Tony and that great catch was taken in the winter too. I have often had good catches from the Wharfe in winter on the right days.

I also know of bigger catches than mine from the right areas that I know Mick has access to.

He fishes most days through the week when he is not working and is a very dedicated angler. He would not lie about his captures he is a genuine guy.

Anyway what does it matter what another has caught as long as you go out there and enjoy yourself. It is only a matter of putting in the time and effort, learning the river and the hot pegs.

S

Sean Meeghan

Spiros, this is my last post on this subject as to put it bluntly I'm a bit p'd off. Mick is or, was until recently, chairman of the Barbel catchers. His catches are all logged and reported monthly. They are seen by some of the best Barbel anglers in the country and to my knowledge none of them have ever questioned the numbers.

If you had asked if it was possible to catch such numbers from what is a very prolific river by someone fishing it several days a week someone would have put you right and may have even offered to show you how.

As it is you have made an unsubstantiated allegation against a highly respected angler. That is not on.

S

Sean Meeghan

I think that is what is known as throwing the teddy out of the cot!