Mossy Repellent

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Just got a Chapmans catalogue through.

They are advertising ThermaCELL Mosquito and Midge repellent. Anybody know anything about them or if they actually work? Claim to provide a 4.5 x 4.5M flying insect free zone. Quite a claim.

Stu

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Dunno but I swear by Neem Tree Oil spray. Smells like tea-tree and doesn't attack mono like DEET.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Had two tiger fishing trips to the upper reaches of the Gambia river in the early 80’s not bitten once.
Only got to get the lawnmower out back home – bitten alive!!!:confused:

PaSC (failed)

sagalout

Reaction score
Used to use 5-% deet based repellents but I did think it might not be to good for the skin long term so I now use avon skin so soft. Buy it from ebay, 5 bottles at a time.

Downside is I smell like a brown hatters handbag when I go fishing :eek:

The bad one

Reaction score
Only one for me now..... Jungle Formula. Last year I spent 9 days in the Forests and Marshes of Poland. Forest has 23 species of mossies, marshes 26.
After the first night, which was in the forest, I looked like the Elephant Man the next morning. Over here in Blity I rarely get bitten by mossies.
My mate using JF hadn't been touched :eek: And he says he gets eaten everywhere he goes.

So it was.... err G ? Gives a can of that JF. Never got bitten again after that. :D

little oik

Reaction score
Eat plenty of garlic .Its a good for you and its a very good deterant .I found that in the tropics I was getting bitten to death until I had a good amount of garlic in the bloodstream.Its totally amazing on what gives you the big swerve after downing a few cloves a day:D

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Why is it you only remember the mossy spray after you've been eaten alive?
Skin So Soft.
Tried others, Crocodile Mossy repelent, not good.
Some type of Horse and Jocket stuff with deet, melted everything.
Jungle Formula, worked some of the time. Mainly when I remembered to put it on.
Avon Sun Lotion with Insect repelent, works quite well but ot as good a SOS.
With all this Mossy Off and Sun screan, hats with peeks, mesh and neck flaps, no room for tackle in the bag and look and smell like a plonker.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Cheers guys,

Didn't know so many of you were in touch with their feminine sides!:eek:

A new book, 'beauty tips from the bivvy'?

Will join you and get some Skin so soft! Not for the mossies though;)

This Chapmans thing must either be an audible or smell based area repellent. As I said they claim a flying insect free zone 4.5x4.5M!

That would keep most swims clear and might even protect the patio for evening BBQ's!

Stu

noknot

Reaction score
This is the stuff!

Attachments

• 85000-00.jpg
    85000-00.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 45

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Having experience of proper hard Highland midges and mozzies, I've tried DEET, Autan, Citronella, Skin So Soft (which ain't that bad), Jungle Formula, taking Vitamin B1 for weeks, drinking beer the night before, chanting at the Sun and several other ideas and I can conclusively say that Neem Tree Oil is the Daddy. It's all I'll use now. It's not that cheap but it's safe on the mono, skin and it smells good and believe me, the bugs do not like it at all. The Neem tree is from India and it was noted that bugs don't eat it, set up shop or generally go anywhere near it and the locals use the leaves to rub on the skin. It was brought to Scotland and tested in Milngavie by the SAS I'm led to believe. Several sources online and I've tried several brands and they all work well.

If you have to know about midge/mozzy/cleg bites...ask a Scottish piker.

That's me by the way.

dezza

Reaction score
Best I ever found in SA was DEET.

In Oz, you are best consulting the locals for a good mossie deterent. Some believe in calling on entities from the "Dream Time" to sort things out. The "Mossie Dance" was demonstrated to me by Boonabbawabee of the Wemba Wemba tribe of Southern NSW. He is in contact with a number of bunyips who inhabit a series of billabongs along upper reaches of the Hawksbury River.

No worries mate.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Some believe in calling on entities from the "Dream Time" to sort things out. The "Mossie Dance" was demonstrated to me by Boonabbawabee of the Wemba Wemba tribe of Southern NSW. He is in contact with a number of bunyips who inhabit a series of billabongs along upper reaches of the Hawksbury River
No worries mate.

Is that their equivalent of the X-Factor?