Sounds like a good idea

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It can only be good for angling surely.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Anything positive about angling is good.

I might have thought otherwise if it was confined to one party.

I wonder who will come over from the Lib Dems. I did some research years ago and couldn't find an angler in their midst.

njb51

Reaction score
It sounds excellent but will only remain so if they keep at it and not let it fall into the back of a filing cabinet.

G

Geoff Cowen

It has got to be a move in the right direction.
It's a shame that the minister for sport has never shown any interest in fishing. Perhaps match fishing or team fly fishing could be a demonstration sport at the London Olympics.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Providing they intend to tackle the problems in angling then it can only be a good thing. If they listen to people that understand the angling world and give them an opportunity to put this over to them then its a good thing. If they are prepared to stick their necks out to protect our rivers more then its a good thing.

If they are there just for a cup of tea and a chat once a month then its not a good thing. Salter seems to have a genuine interest in angling but I don't know about the others and yes, they deserve a chance to show their worth.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

After reading the short article, my first thoughts were, what are they after? Don't forget, these people are politicians, one statement was -;

Angling enthusiasts make a massive contribution to the economy.
Alarm bells should be ringing.

Jonny wrote -;
it sounds excellent but will only remain so if they keep at it and not let it fall into the back of a filing cabinet.

I misread it at first as-;
it sounds excellent but will only remain so if they keep at it and not let it fall into the back pocket of the cabinet.

I think that would be nearer the truth. Why the sudden upsurge in the interests of 3.5 million anglers?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Graham M.

Much like a bus load of Estate Agents driving off of a cliff, this APPG for Angling seems to me to be:

A Very Good Start!

G

Ged

Is this not just an attempt to form an angling club for members of Paliment?

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Let's not condemn it offhand. At the moment it seems like a good thing so let's just wait and see how it develops.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear All,

A lot of factories used to have their own fishing clubs, some even had their own fisheries. Lets hope the new club hold their first match on the Thames right outside their workplace so they can see how crap the fishing is right on their doorstep. They might push for better water quality on the Thames then?

Will John Prescott be joining to run the ladies section I wonder? Will they go searching local tackle shops for baits of mass destruction? Will Blair hand over the reigns if he's given the best peg in the first match? Will wasp grub be banned in the members bar? Members benches in the house be replaced with Fox chairs? Will the speaker sit inside a bivie? Will Black Rod get replaced with a Sod Pod? Prime Minister rises for question time and gets pelted with ground bait?

Regards,

Lee.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Will Baz go and check their licences?

M

Mark Hodson

Why don't they go the whole way and form their own party, we could vote for them then.
On the basis of 3.5 million anglers, they might just get in if they proposed angling be a mandatory requirment to be undertaken at least 1 day of the week, like the old law that all males over the age of 14 have to practice archery on a Sunday. (thats still on the statute books you know)