Chew success

D

David Will

I just spoke to owner of Luremania apparentlet there have been loads of twenties and thirties out of Chew , has anyone been lucky ?

K

keith reid

Yep , shure have David. On my 1st day I got a 19.04 pike on an ABU Glimmy 30 g.That was my first decent pike to a lure! I also landed a (lure caught) PB perch of 2.09 on the same spoon. My boat partner then landed a PB pike. 31.06 .I don't know who was greener , the pike or me !
On the 2nd day I had 10 pike by noon , all on an ABU Toby Salmo retrieved quickly. One was over 10 lbs ... 25.04 to be exact. A new PB , and on a lure to boot!
There were some problems at Cew though. The fish were often in one particular area. Most other areas were seemingly empty. This sometimes led to some "ungentlemanly conduct" by some people . A definate lack of ettiquette on display , often by folk who should , and probably do , know better.
Shore anglers had a hard time of it.
Spoons seemed to be the "in" method. We'd very little on plugs (other than rainbows) and even less on deads.(other than rainbows!)
We found a shallow bay productive , only
3 - 5 ft. deep , though most other fish were coming from 8 -15 ft.
I hope it runs again. If it does , go for it.

R

Rob Brownfield

Strange, I have always found that spoons ot spinnerbaits are best when after traout Water pike. Sometimes the Flipper jerkbaits work well in Trout patten...but a big spoon would be first choice

K

keith reid

Spoons were well in. I'd like to thank all the FM contributors who proffered me advice on Chew when I put in a query about best methods. Especially Colin Brett , who hit the nail on the head ... yep Colin in the deeper water, we did get takes on the drop.Top notch !! Thanks again.
Keith.

D

David Will

Nice one Keith I have been trying to buy some Helltails and Spring Dawgs but they have all sold out suggesting lots of people like me assumed these would be the ones to fish..It would seem that spoons and spinnerbaits may be what I need on Grafham next week .Along with a huge slice of luck :)

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Thanks Keith, recognition at last!!!!!!
Pleased you did so well. Reminds me of The opening up of Rutland back in the 80's. I just hope the fish survive all this angling pressure. How long were the photo sessions and how many clowns went on the bank for photo sessions. Pity the poor old pike!!!!
Colin

K

keith reid

I saw no one on the bank on the 2 days we were on ,apart from bank anglers. Everyone we saw were well kitted out with underlay , mats or whatever.