Irish livebaiters?

M

mark williams 4

"I just heard on Talksport that Nigel Williams was one of the anglers caught with a car full of carp and roach going to Ireland.
You would think he would be more responsible given his profile in the sport."

I think this should be another thread. Oddly enough, when I mentioned the story originally to my old mate Dave Phillips, he said "Bet that'll be someone like Nige Williams, or somebody well-known."

If it is Nige Williams, he wouldn't be the first piker 9or catfish angler) to be taking live-os abroad...

P

paul williams 2

I also thought it would be someone well know......and nailed it down to four possibles and got one correct!

But you are right Nige wouldn't be the first and in the past (15yrs+) it's something a lot of us would have considered, but times are changed.

No relation to any of the other Williams,s on here BTW, at least as far as i know!

Joskin

Reaction score
I have heard from very reliable witnesses about all sorts of dodgy things that Nige Williams gets upto just to catch a few fish. Since I first started to hear these things the man has realy gone down in my estimations. Angling fame has gone to his head im afraid and has turned him into a total W**K*R that thinks he can do what he pleases.

P

paul williams 2

There are a lot of names out there who have done far worse!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Think a report/apology/hands-up/lets back him/lets crucify him/MI5 profile/did he/didnt he? will be in this weeks AT.

P

paul williams 2

thats the problem with being a Black adder...you get hung drawn and quartered when trying to sustain the lifestyle by any means......sometimes it pays to be a Baldrik!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

What sort of strokes have they pulled Brummie?

Name a few without naming names.

I have heard of the sorts of fiddles a certain angler who's name rhymes with Hayley has done in the past, especially concerning photos of big catches of roach.

And certainly some top anglers of my aquaintance have stuck fish back in the landing net to get a good shot of a fish being lifted form the water.

As old **** Walker once said with a wink: "Make sure the water is dripping from the landing net when you take the shot, otherwise it doesn't look real."

L

levelspiker

if he`s guilty then he should never be allowed back into the pac.actions like this get us all tarred with the same brush.
which is probably why we are often treated as second class citizens by match orientated club committees across the country.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

He's not in the PAC any more Pete.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Quote: "There are a lot of names out there who have done far worse!"

Care to reveal all?

How much worse in angling terms can you get than transporting a non-indigenous species with a known track record for spreading diseases to a foreign country at a time of year when this risk is at its greatest?

Releasing pig slurry directly into water courses?

Using dynamite?

Depositing ticking time bombs?

Rape and pillage?

Total disrespect for the law and customs of a foreign land?

This isn't a case of chucking out a snide rod or using a dodgy rig. It's criminal and reckless in the extreme.

What if this was French piker anglers transporting live carp into the UK with a mind to fish in the Colne Valley, for instance? How would you react to that?

K

keith reid

But he WAS....even after getting a "life ban" previously !!

J

jon helyer

Well I'm glad I had him as a guset speaker last year, and not this, gone too far this time, none of us can really claim to be absolutely clean, but there are limits!

P

paul williams 2

Ron....how about carp stealing......and later in life lambasting others for it....sometimes they should just keep their mouths shut?

Hayley ain't the only one to "bag" fish for long periods....i know of tench bags taken and kept for a week and claimed to be "a catch"

Some people want the limelight at any cost!!

But as far as Nige goes i honestly don't believe it was to make a name, just over zealous desire to catch pike..........and no we are not related!

Joskin

Reaction score
Well he certainly has made a name for himself now. I can think of plenty

W

wyepike

Well, I think its both a setup since someone clearly snitched on him to the authorities AND a storm in a teacup. Sure, he was a bit silly, but heh thats life...Everyone is entitled to a mistake or 2. Coupled with all that recent hyped up stuff about the coarse fish stealing (if we cant find any teams of eastern europeans then lets have a go at pike anglers?) its just media fluff. If fish stocks are fluctuating, I guess most anglers would accept reasons like cormorants, weather hitting fry survival/recruitment and finally in some areas (somerset and fens?) the pumping/ sluice control policies of the EA hitting fish stocks and recruitment.

C

Chris Bishop

I guess most anglers would accept reasons like cormorants, weather hitting fry survival/recruitment and finally in some areas (somerset and fens?) the pumping/ sluice control policies of the EA hitting fish stocks and recruitment.

Went to a club AGM the other week where a senior EA fisheries scientist painted a fairly alarming picture regarding the latter point you raise in the Cambs/Norfolk Fens.

He named a few other river catchments as suffering from the same thing - including the Trent.

Surprised the weeklies haven't picked up on this.

Brian Hazard

Reaction score
I can only comment on what is published in the angling press, but having so many livebait in the vehicle demonstrates, to me, that it was an blatant attempt to catch big pike, on his terms, and his terms only, withour regard for any laws, rules, or regulations. It does besmirch his reputation, and doubts will always now surround any notable capture of pike made by him, irrespective of anything he may say, or write. Consider the vilification of the captures of the late Denis Pye.