How's the rainfall

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

In the South Yorks, Notts and Derbyshire areas we have had some excellent rains. of the right type too, continuous, soft and soaking. Chatsworth yesturday was typical.

The Don is in full spate as are all the other rivers and all our resevoirs are full to bursting.

How is it in the rest of the country, especially the South East?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Continual rain now for four days. The lakes are full, and the odd one is becomeing unfishable due to access. The water table is very high and excess water has nowhere to go except back into the rivers or lakes.

R

This is good news Baz. How's the state of the Ribble?

And come on you guys in the South and East, Have you had some decent rains? Or are you going to have to nick all our water?

:eek:(

B

I recieved some news from John Conway at the weekend about the state of the Ribble Ron, he has done a bit of a rece on it for our club. He says there are all kinds of things being washed down in the floods.

I can't have it both ways but the amount of rain we are haveing plays havoc with my work (and play).

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
We in West Glos have had rain every day for over a week now and some of it has been torrential, the forecast is for heavy rain all this week as well. When I went over the Severn on the way to Clattercote on Saturday I was surpised the river wasn't over the banks as it is very prone to flood round Gloucester. I live on the Severn estuary but being tidal and about a mile wide it doesn't pose a flood threat luckily, its only when it narrows up towards Gloucester that it becomes a very big threat.

Havn't heard on the local news of any flooding on the lower Wye either which is also very prone to flooding but it must be well up.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
It was a little moist over the weekend down in the Northampton area. When I say moist, I mean I really need a new set of waterproofs.

B

It's too wet to work again today, so it looks like I'll have to go fishing, bugger!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

As Ron said, continuous, soft and soaking, the right stuff down here in the south too.

R

Raining heavy in at Reading in the Thames Valley.

S

Spoddy Dave

Raining heavy and thundery last night.
Raining heavy but no thunder yet here in the mids.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's been persisting down around Staffs/Cheshire for three days solid now and the rivers are full.

B

Bob Watson

Positively p*ssing down in the north east for a few days now.

No good for work :-(

Y

yoggy

Ron,its been raining here in the Fens, very hard at times.The drains look very inviting!!!!...We could do with alot more rain though,,hopefully before your trip!!

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

We're getting some good gentle rainfall. Puddles all over the woodlands now, all soaking nicely into the Chilterns so that Three Valleys can suck us dry and flog it to North Londoners.

One reason I don't mind having a quick pee in the woods at times.

The Thames is going like a train at the moment, good spring flow, but that's short lived even though it does supply water to a lot of people living alongside it.

Yesterday, I had to wash all that mud off the car that I picked up at Clattercote. Can't use the hose which would have cost about 8 gallons or so. Instead, I had to tote around 20 bucket fulls of water from the kitchen, approx 36 gallons. Where's the saving?

S

Shrek

Rugby has been getting fairly steady rain for the past 5 days, and today is no exception.

R

This is the sort of rain we need guys, the sort that will gradually and slowly permeate to the underground springs and aquafers.

And we need another week of it.

The worst type of rain are those torrential downpours with heavy run off that cause flooding.

J

john conway

"The worst type of rain are those torrential downpours with heavy run off that cause flooding."
The weathers like that up here in the Yorkshire Dales, the Ribble's going to be up and down like a bride?s nighty. On Saturday there was an horrendous amount of crap coming down the Calder, a tributary of the Ribble, which takes all the washings from, Nelson, Burnley and Accrington etc., it looked like it had been diverted though a scrap yard.
As I type this it?s wild and wet and looks like it?s in for the rest of the week?

Clikfire

Reaction score
How's the rain in the North Oxfordshire area?

Cold, wet and falling from the sky. Makes me glad to be in work!

B

Is it really surprising that it is mainly the elderly that want more and more rain?
They give no thought to others who have to carry on and try and make a liveing in these conditions. Selfish isn't the word!

R

Make a living????

You can't live Baz if there is nothing to drink.

And nothing to eat either because you can't grow food without water.

Water is the stuff of life, the common solvent.

I have been to places in my life where rain has not fallen in 50 years. I have seen crippling droughts where hundreds of thousand of wild and domestic animals have died; and people too because there was no water.

It's perhaps that as we do get older we learn to value this marvellous resource more and more. And as anglers we should understand there would be no fish, or fishing without water.