Mayfly hatch on the Avon

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Fished the River Avon yesterday just upstream of Salisbury on the Salisbury and District Club water. Mayfly were trickling off all day, one would sail past every 5 minutes or so, but not what you'd really call a hatch proper. Trouble was the trout wouldn't touch them, or any imitative mayfly pattern, they were still on the olives. I had 5 trout and 1 grayling on small size 16 olive patterns that wouldn't even look at a mayfly imitation. How strange that they ignore this easy food source!!!

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Early days yet; wait until the mayfly have been coming off steady for a week and the trout should start to take an interest. My main concern is that, with all the (admittedly desperately needed) rain falling this week, the river will be too murky for dry fly fishing.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
That's useful to know - thanks Richard. I live fifty miles away so I am loathe to make the journey if there is any doubt about the conditions. I last fished the Avon in early April; despite a substantial hatch of grannom I saw no trout at all and only a few dace were rising.

B

Blank Day Bob

I was on the Test at Tilsbury yesterday, the water was very murky and a lot of flotsam floating through. There were huge Mayfly hatches all day, the air was thick with them and the water covered in the things. Similar experience to you though a few half hearted rises but nothing spectacular, it was very disapointing and hard fishing. Shame because its a beautiful beat, the fish were either spoilt for choice or just not feeding. My Mayflies only tempted one brownie all day, the other 2 fell to a Red Wolf and an Iron Blue.
Still better than being at work though!!