Shrink Tubing

catman

Reaction score
I cannot understand the advantages of bringing the hooklink out of the side of the shrink tubing rather than straight through. If anything this way may damage the hooklink and is far more difficult to do. Any thoughts?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Are you talking of the line aligner?
If so it pulls the hook up at a more acute angle if the shrink tube is slightly bent when held over steam. This was a safer method by Jim Gibbinson, which took place of the more dangerous bent hook rig.
To be honest, I can't think of how this would damage the hooklink.

catman

Reaction score
Yes I know that but rather than going straight through the tubing some go through the side a couple of mm before the end.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Like This One
The bottom rig?

I think it would be difficult to bring the line out of the bottom of the tubing once you had shrunk it.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The problem with shrink tube is that it can straighten out when casting especially if there is a pva bag in contact. If you come out the side of the tubing you will always have a slight bend as the last couple of mm of tubing stop the line going stright.

Wooly

Reaction score
I find some shrink tube often straightens when the hook is attached to a PVA mesh bag, using the line aligner with the line coming through the tubing eliminates this problem. This ensures a consistent turning of the hook.
The assembly method is simple, try the following:
1. Attach the hook with a simple noknot.
2. Cut the hooklength slightly longer than required.
3. Cut a short length, about 10 to 15mm, of soft rubber rig tube, 1mm bore diameter, ensuring that 1 end is cut at a 45 degree angle.
4. Using a baiting needle, pierce the tubing just below the pointed angled end, and push the needle through the bore.
5. Pull the end of the hook link through the tubing.
6. Push the tubing down over the hookshank so that the hair exits opposite the hookpoint, on the back of the shank.
7. The tubing should be orientated so that the line is exiting through the tubing on the inside of the hook.

Hope this of some assistance.

G

Grant Lever

line aligner was invented before knotless knot,now defunct.

F

Frothey

no, he's got a point stu.

theres no point in using tubing any more is there....

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Defunct

no longer in force or use; inactive; "a defunct (or dead) law"; "a defunct organization" [syn: dead]

having ceased to exist or live; "the will of a defunct aunt"; "a defunct Indian tribe" a shit bait, crap rig, or them reels aint no good-defunct like your lack of reading the water, maybe you bod, carp angler fing?

Or what this could be turned into..

Argument

A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate.
A quarrel; a dispute.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Try it play with it. Turning angles, this that the other. Some confess this some that. Do your own thing, read others, salt n pinch at times if u know what i mean. Some talk the talk, some talk and make sense, most that talk the talk talk crap. Search the net, read the mags, play about with it and make YOU OWN MIND up on it. Google it and go for it.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Quite right Wol an awful lot of c**p written by some, me included on occassions.

In my case I make no claims of being an expert, I'd like to see the scientic theories of physics explained in lay mans terms to back up a lot of the ideas on rigs etc. With reference to papers written by experts which back these theories up, not anglers but scientists with 'kosher' proven scientific facts sensibly and logically applied to practical fishing applications.

I often think simple things are over complicated, as Woody said on a thread sometime ago, KISS.

Deanos

Reaction score
Richard, only one man can sort this whole mess out?FMS Mr Carp?Big Ric!
Since becoming a terminator?err moderator, he does not post very often,
But it would be good to hear what he has to say on the subject cos he talks sense, which is more than I ever do!
Come on Ric, this has to be one for you!

Deanos

Reaction score
Fat Sandra is busy working her ?northern sex? chat line this evening, you ring her up and she tells you she is sat wearing only her stockings, and eating a pie!

G

Grant Lever

use tubing if you like,i was just stating my personal opinion based on 40 years casual carp fishing,i have the greatest respect for jim gibbinson,but like anything something better eventually comes up.