Beara fishing report

beara man

Reaction score
FISHING ON THE BEARA

Paul Harris reports

April, pretty much like March was warm, dry and getting warmer as each day went on. Water temperatures were very much on the up and when Shawn, Simon and Jason from Hampshire and Wiltshire in the UK arrived for their annual visit prospects were good.
They are always our first visitors of the year as Shawn is a gamekeeper and the arrival in early May of many thousands of pheasant and partridge chicks precludes his chance of holidaying any later, so they are very much the first footers on many of our rock marks.
Water temperature was up from under 12 Degrees last year to over 15 this year so I sent them off to see if any of the ray were moving into the shallows, in particular the spotted rays.
Results did not disappoint with Simon taking our first specimen of the year with a fine 5lbs 12ozs Spotted (Homelyn) Ray. Sadly there were no more specimens for the week but plenty of other fish made up for it.
Thornback Rays to 8.5lb, Huss to 10lbs 12ozs, pollack to 6.5lbs, conger to over 20lbs and a few more bits and pieces made for an action packed week with plans already being made for next years visit.
All this lovely weather and good fishing but not many fisherman about at the moment. certainly change in June, till then we have excellent prospects for May and I will certainly be taking advantage of a few quiet weeks to see if I can find a few specimens myself.

Anyone looking for information on fishing on the Beara can contact me at Dromagowlanehouse@eircom.net or ring me on 00 353 27 60330.
Web sites DromagowlaneHouse Bed & Breakfast: b and b located in the Beara Peninsula, West Cork and HOME - bearaseafishing.com