What would you do

R

Ron Clay

Have you ever considered what you would do if you caught a very big fish, even a record? Some anglers of my aquaintance would not say a word and keep the thing a secret all their lives. One guy some years ago told me he wouldn't even take a photo for the fear that someone may see it and identify where it had been caught.

Or would you go the whole hog. Weigh it, photograph it, get witnesses and enter to Drennan Cup togther with submitting the fish to the Record Fish Committee.

I remember some years ago where I read that big fish anglers should either put up or shut up.

To me, one of the great pleasures I get from angling is telling other anglers what I've caught, and showing the photos. Am I doing wrong. Some people say I am and should NEVER say a word if I do catch a very big fish.

And I have actually heard that waters exist where photography is banned. Is this true?

How miserable can some people get?

What do you think?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I reckon that anyone who catches a record fish and doesn't tell the world is a selfish so-and-so who has robbed angling history of a significant event.

The naming of the water is not a requirement so there is no excuse.

R

Rob Brownfield

I think i would kill it and have it set up! No point in not being able to prove that u caught it..is there?

Infact, i think all big fish should be killed, that way you know u are not getting repeat captures and that your fish is a worthy fish. No need to worry about the future of our sport because we can bring in imports from France etc. or re stock with farm bred fish!

(Parl? avec ma langue fermement dans ma joue)

W

Wendy Perry

Well if it was me i would be on News at Ten lol and front page of FISHINGmagic :eek:)

Seriously tho i think thats the good part of fishing coz people ask me have i ever had a big fish yet and i tell em yes my biggest is 8lb9oz i am proud of that weight i know it's not massive but i am really proud of it :eek:) so Ron i reckon that people should tell all and keep takin them photo's

L

Lee Foulkes

there was a time I would have agreed with you Graham, however with recent events on the Ouse I have changed my views. If I caught a record fish I would definitley keep it under wraps, selfish? maybe, but better that than run the risk of the fishery being swamped by the glory hunters then being lost it to a syndicate.
Refusing to name the water wouldn't help, some people will go to extraordinary lenghts to find such venues

B

Birds Nest

You know I was pondering this the other day, after my reoccuring record Perch dream.. What is the actual process for entering a fish into the record books ? I understand you'd need your Scales checking and a witness and decent photos... its the latter 2 that make we wonder how you'd do it.. I've been fishing recently and not seen anyone for miles.. could you ring one of the weeklies ? Yup, I'd make it known allright...

Ron, you've started some cracking posts recently!!

F

Fred Bonney

Rob,the meat is sweeter the bigger they get as well,great with french fries and no repeats as you say!!!!
I have no doubt I would sing it from the roof tops and take as many freebees as I could get hold of.

S

Stuart Johnson

If I caught a realy big fish i would tell my mates and then get p*****, and if it was a realy spectacular fish I might tell the weeKlies. If I caught a record I would tell the world and his wife get very p***** more than once and be on cloud nine forever. I would not publise the venue but I would tell my fishing mates so they can share in the joy after all don't we fish for enjoyment and if you can share that enjoyment so much the better.

R

Ron Clay

Stuart, I tend to agree with you. And yes Rob I think you are spot on. A record fish doesn't have much longer to live, so kill it humanely and have it expertly set up is what I say. It would certainly prove with respect to rudd and roach that they were genuine specimens and not hybrids

R

Ron Clay

Stuart, I tend to agree with you. And yes Rob I think you are spot on. A record fish doesn't have much longer to live, so kill it humanely and have it expertly set up is what I say. It would certainly prove with respect to rudd and roach that they were genuine specimens and not hybrids

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Lee, although I do have some sympathy with what you're saying it does seem a very sad and sorry state of affairs when our great sport can't fly its flags because we're allowing a bunch of blaggers known as the circus to dictate to us.

I am just eternally grateful that I've lived most of my life in my era and not this coming one, because if we all followed the creed of no publicity (even the sketchiest details) there would be no fishing newspapers, magazines, books, videos, TV programmes or websites.

Such a state of affairs says so much about us, and what is to be in the future.

I don't know of any other sport where there is so much secrecy and inverted snobbery.

R

Ron Clay

By crikey Graham you are so damn right. I also grew up fishing at the same time as yourself. (Born 22/3/42) and yes in many ways it was a better world.

However the Trent was awfully polluted then - no barbel. That's one plus for today's angling scene.

I hope I can live to see 20lb barbel 8 lb chub, 3 lb roach 1 lb dace and 15lb bream come out of the Trent. A river like the Trent deserves to be Englands number 1 river.

R

Ron Clay

By crikey Graham you are so damn right. I also grew up fishing at the same time as yourself. (Born 22/3/42) and yes in many ways it was a better world.

However the Trent was awfully polluted then - no barbel. That's one plus for today's angling scene.

I hope I can live to see 20lb barbel 8 lb chub, 3 lb roach 1 lb dace and 15lb bream come out of the Trent. A river like the Trent deserves to be Englands number 1 river.

L

Lee Foulkes

your right Graham, but isn't it always the case of the few spoiling it for the many.
like you I have my worries for the direction Angling is going at present.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Luckily though, it isn't all doom and gloom. As Ron mentioned, some of our waters are a lot cleaner than they were 20 years and more ago. The EA seems to be getting its act together and organisations like SAFE are increasing.

No, I don't really want to be a pessimist but the attitudes of some of my fellow anglers who want to dictate to me how I should fish (for instance, the barbel police, who I shall fight tooth and nail) make me despair.

We don't need to fight each other, we have enough of a battle on our hands with non-anglers.

G

Gary Knowles

Ron,

If you want to see a 20lb barbel you won't need to wait too long. I'm reliably informed that there will be 3 such fish swimming between the mill and Kickles this winter.

I personally have always liked to publish my catches but fully understand and respect those that don't. Like anything else in a free world it should be up to the indivdual.

But, like Graham said, imagine a world without fishing books, magazines, websites, television programmes, etc.

My god, I'd have to speak to the wife sometimes..................

P

paul clarke

from a personal point of view , i have actually broken 5 or 6 national records including a 16lb tench and the countries first genuine 6lb crucian but i'm afraid i can't tell you where i caught them from as its so secret even i don't know where it is ......and its the lake of my dreams (.... quite literally). and even though i caught them all , i can't reveal my name ,
regards , paul clarke........ oh bugger !!!

R

Ron Clay

Here's a point to ponder,

A famous angler of the 50s and 60s was the late Bill Warren. In about 1964 he caught a 7lb 6oz chub on the Hants Avon which held the record for many years. I have fished on several occasions, the swim that Bill Aarren caught his record. There was no secret about the actual spot. The Royalty Fishery, was then and is now a day ticket water. Anyone can go there, there are still some very big fish to be caught there.

Does it really do too much harm to publicise all the facts about a record fish?

What do you think?