Anyone fish the Lymm or Bay Malton Stretches of the Dane ??

Chris Evans 4

Reaction score
Hi to all !

Having fished the Ribble for the past few years for the Barbel It's time for a change. I intend to fish the Dane alot for the next few seasons On the Lymm and Bay Malton tickets. So basically im after some info about fish size on the above streches, approx number of doubles ect and if anyone fancies it maybe meet for a couple of sessions. So if anyone can help please add to the thread or drop me an email. Any information would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers Chris.

eric walker

Reaction score
chris email me any time i ll have a meet uop with you some nice swims best stretch on dane for barbs

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
You're in the best area without a doubt. The thing is about the Dane, it's quite an intimate river and the Barbel don't have many places to hide. Consequently they come out a lot.

It's a place you'll enjoy if you like travelling light, 1 rod, tight swims etc.

If you'd rather use 2 rods, bait heavily and base your success on number of doubles caught, it's either not the river for you, or you might want to re-think your approach.

As for numbers of doubles, who can say? Not many though. Perhaps 1 fish in 5 is over 8, one in 10 over 9. I've had approximately 100 Barbel from the river, I'm yet to catch a double.

If there are more than 10 doubles in the whole river I'd be suprised. No, shocked! Others might disagree...

eric walker

Reaction score
ric i sure you can only use one rod on the baymalton tretch anyrode . but the rest you are correct

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Agree with comments above apart from "1 in 5 over 8lb". The Cotton Farm stretch is full of barbel in the 3 - 7lb bracket but above that they become rarer. The profile photo opposite is a Dane Double. I've now moved to Yorkshire so more than happy to e-mail you separately details of swims and methods.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I used to fish the Dane 45 years ago at Twemlow - Saltersford (Holmes Chapel), with my father,good fish in those days!!! would love to have another go but now live in South Wales, maybe one day.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

"Anyrode"
There's a word I haven't heard in yonks. You must be a reet owld Cheshire mon Eric?

Chris Evans 4

Reaction score
All,

Thanks for the info lads much appreciated ! Wot you have all said pretty much sums up my thoughts on the River. The fact that it is so intamate is exactly why I want to fish it ! Hopefully stalk a few ! As for the doubles, am not surprised that there are not so many knocking about. They must see alot of angling pressure and be quite timid beasts. As rumor has it a couple of 15's came out of the BM strech anyone care to comment ?? or just rumours ?? Anyway it's not all about Doubles I would kill to stalk a nice 8 pounder into the net ! After the ribble that would be magic ! Eric Wich strech is it that you fish BM or Lymm just tried to email cant get it to work !!

Thanks again Chris.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I haven't had my tablets this morning yet, so I'm not my usual pleasent self.

Let's find a good stretch of river or stillwater and blow it wide apart why don't we?

A

Albert Watkinson 2

i have fished the dane for 54 yrs and had many barbel around 4-5lb i have had a few over the 7lb mark to 7/13 but i lost a very good fish 2 seasons ago .i have not fished since the pollution.regardless of the so called stocking it must have had a bad effect on the river.i fish the bay malton water and in reply to our friend two rods are taboo and rightly so.
albert

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Only just caught up with this thread but here we go.

On Bay Maltons water it is one rod only, why anyone would wish to use two on a river just a few yards wide is beyond me anyway.

There is strictly no night fishing.

The fishing can be good if you can put up with the crowds during the summer and autumn months. At one time you could bait up a few pegs and drift between them picking a few fish up here and there. These days it can get so busy that you dare not move as someone will jump in the peg you've left and you will be left with no where to fish. If you think I'm kidding just get down there come June and see for your self.

Am I fishing it this year........no. I've just dropped out of the club after 6 or 7 years, mainly for the reasons above.

Sorry if this seems like all doom and gloom, it wasn't meant to, I'm just telling you like it is.

Best of luck,

Dan.

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
Daniel
I agree with your comments above too, it's the main reason a mate and I left the club, it's was getting like Blackpool beach in summer!
There are a few doubles knocking about on the Dane.....I think they come out more often than people know about. Lets face it, would you tell all the rabble on the bay Malton stretch or anywhere else on the Dane for that matter?
Baz
Cos kick a ball agin wall and yed it til it bost ????:)

eric walker

Reaction score
wel i fished this stretch several times last year and on most occassion i only saw two guys . i only fish weekdays so cannot comment on weekends . i here there has been trouble then with guys turning up at night to fish after dark but they are having a clamp down this year and will expell anyone doing this.i had several good days in fact the only noise i heard was the guys running the new electric cables . i dont fish near the motorway .had some really good chubb .i find most clubs have problems at the peak fishing periods so i dont fish then unless i know its not a known stretch . and thats where you can really get some good fish as its not fished. cheers eric

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
I think you've been really lucky Eric. Danny and I both experienced the nightmare of opening day on the Bay Malton stretch where every single peg was taken, all rules around time on the water were broken and some anglers nearly came to blows - literally. One guy had his camper van there. He set up his gear, went back to the van for a kip only to come back and find his gear in the field and another angler installed in his peg. This was at 4am!!! Never again.

That said, there are a few good blokes down who will readily share some info around method, bait and cathes, albeit not about individual pegs.

Overall: Great fishing, very busy and avoid opening day at all costs.

eric walker

Reaction score
well if that happened at that time of day neither should have been on the water anyode and as i understand there is no over night stopping i did speak to the secretary when i renewed my card . he asked me to be a balliff. as they are seriously going to clamp down on rule breakers. personally i never fish open day mad rush and all that . so the guys should expect some visits by balliffs

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
I remember that day well Jonathan and thats not what I am looking for from my fishing these days, give me a nice empty stretch of river any time.

I only fished the Dane twice last season each time in the evening up until it was going dark. I didn't have a touch (apart from chub) until the light was almost gone, so in effect I was fishing for one bite and then I had to pack up because of the no night fishing rules.

Fortunately I now have access to a number of other waters where I am not so restricted and have been enjoying my fishing again.

Anyway, hows life on the other side of the pennines, you catching a few on them there yorkshire rivers?

Dan.