Biggest Brace of Barbel

Ginger

Reaction score
Last month`s Coarse Fisherman had an article on the biggest brace of Barbel,of the top 33 entries 28 came from the Ouse.The Ribble,Wye,
Severn,Teme,Trent,Thames,Kennet,Avon`s,Stour
etc,didn`t get a mention.Is the Ouse really
that much better for specimen Barbel than all
these other rivers?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head there Eddie we will see where the Ouse is in 5-10 years or so when all the big girls have passed away. From what i have read there seems to be a shortage of young fish to replace the current stock of big fish.

L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

What is the biggest brace? mine is

25lb 13oz

which was part of a trio totalling

36lb 14oz

F

Fred Bonney

Bryan,there are replacements in the Ouse in significant numbers in all the weight ranges.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

According to what the experts say, barbel can live to the age of 25 years or so. Some of the big named fish in the Ouse will be about that age I guess.

It will be interesting to see what is caught there this coming season. I feel many of them may die in the next year or so.

By the way I once caught 4 barbel in one session on the Trent that weighed 42lbs 8 oz.

L

my quartet was 41lb dead

beaten by 1lb 8oz!

LOL

R

It's not serious Lee, just bloody numbers.

That's what gets me about a lot of modern big fish hunters. They are numbers mad.

Some of them must be bloody accountants.

Sad people.

L

its not even like they are hard to catch

Y

yoggy

I agree with Ron regarding the numbers game.I fish the Ouse on a regular basis [although not as much as i`d like],and even though i wouldn`t consider the Ouse to be an "easy" water,if one does their homework the rewards can be great.There are some superb Barbel in the Ouse both specimen and otherwise.Myself i go Barbel fishing to simply catch Barbel.Whether i catch a double fiqure or a 3lb`er it truely doesn`t matter to me, although i do know anglers who would argue otherwise,but this is their own choice.
Adams mill is simply over-rated purely because of the publicity it receives.There are certain stretches of the Ouse which can be fished on an ordinary club card which anyone can buy that hold Barbel from 2lb to over 17lb.Most of my mates who fish the Ouse who i know have had some terrific Barbel some to over 17lb but DO NOT want the publicity,and who can blame them with all these "number" men around!!!!!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
How true we were having this discussion last season. What would we do if we caught a Ribble record. The genral concensus was that if its a record then report if not take a pic and keep quite. Otherwise it would not take long for the money circus to arrive and take all the prime fishing.

R

During the winters of 98, 99 and 2000, myself and Eric Hodson caught large numbers of Pike from a large still water.

We had nothing under 14 lbs. The fish averaged 19 lbs I guess and we had a fair number of 20s

Imagine if we had publicised our results. The fishing would have been wrecked.

Y

yoggy

This goes for most of my fishing nowadays Ron.Whether i`m fishing the Ouse for Barbel,or my local drains for Tench,Roach or Pike etc..Of course i tell a few friends whom i trust and they in return do the same for me.I suppose in a way it is sad that its come to this kind of secrecy in angling.

I can understand anglers wanting to break personal PB`s etc myself included.I`m overjoyed when this happens,but i do not go out of my way to break them.

R

I totally lost interest in the personal best aspect of fishing many years ago when I came to realise that the biggest fish was not always the best.

These days I am happy fishing any water where a bit of skill is required to catch a few fish that are big for the water.

And I do tend to rate fish in superb condition and that fight well rather than those big fat old tired fish that often look like raddled old slappers.

Y

yoggy

I couldn`t agree more mate.Take a pristine scale perfect 2lb Roach, its times like this when you think how wonderful it is to be a fisherman,,well thats my view anyway.

Ginger

Reaction score
Bryan, i see from your posting that you fish the Ribble.A pal of mine is a member of Ribchester Angling and he says that he`s heard they are going to introduce a catch report system where you fill in the results of your days fishing as you leave the fishery.Have you heard anything about this,can`t see it working myself.

Steve Pope 2

Reaction score
Just to add three pennorth to this, bearing in mind the original post.

I spoke to Brian Dowling at the BS conference and said it was a good feature except the top brace isn't!

A very well respected barbel angler unknown to most has caught and photographed a bigger brace.

The only point I'm making is that it can be a dangerous game to produce lists on information received because it is a certainty that you won't be privy to everything.