Baz the Tench man

Disco stu

Reaction score
Nice article Baz, I have just started a similar campaign myself.
I have found a spot that seems not to be fished a lot but it seems ideal to me. The only drawback is that lake rules are one rod only, pity as I would have liked to tried a different bait with the same rig on each rod to compare the (hopeful) success rate of each one, but on the other hand it may be a way of getting back to basics and putting all my concentration into one particular set up.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice one Baz and well done.
It's nice to see a plan coming together.
I too had my biggest male tench on Sunday, 6lb 8oz on fake casters.
It also had red marks on its flanks, it must be down to the imminent spawning that is approaching.

Well done mate, I'm looking forward to reading part two.

T

tom riordan

Well done you big girls blouse!!! a well written and thought provoking article, its got my juices flowing, I think I might just venture forth and have a pop at the local tench before the river season gets under way. I found it interesting that the tench took so readily to the plastic hookbait rather than the natural stuff. I have had some success with plastic maggots trotting for roach using dead maggots as loose feed, so its seems the fake stuff works on most species. Cant wait for your next article Baz and good luck with your Tench fishing.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Great read Baz!! nice fish you caught as well.

Did you manage to track down the angler that littered the bank with plastic corn, and relieve him of his card?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Thanks lads.
Rik,
I had a go on the deep water tonight for a couple of hours as a change. I got blown off by the wind and caught nowt.
As I was comeing off, I spoke to the only other angler on the place. He was a new member, first time out, and he had two Tench. One at 8lb, and the other at 9lb.
Where's the justice in that??? His card wont last long at that rate I can tell you. (o
Fake corn certainly seems to be the bait (WHY)??. One of the Carp lads gave me two very interesting fake pieces last night, and it is these that I will be useing for the rest of my campaign. I'll have a word with him and if he doesn't mind, I'll put them in the next article, otherwise it's my little secret hahaaaaaaaa.

R

Robert Woods 1

Baz,
I find the fake corn quite expensive especially if you pre-bait with it...lol

B

Hahahaaaaaa,
Good one Bob, I'll remember that one.
I used to think the same about swimfeeders. Filling them up with bait and then throwing them in the river unattatched to my line. (o

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

OK Basil you?ve done it on the baby wee water, can you do it on the big boys water? :0)

B

That's the question I'm struggling with at the moment Phil.
To be honest, I think both waters are equal in terms of hardship, if you think about it.

The water I am fishing gives me a fair bit of sport while I am waiting for something bigger.
I don't think there are that many Tench over the 8lb mark. They are there yes, but it might take a while, and it might not happen at all.

Your water, is more of a waiting game. The rewards are bigger and more prolific in that if you do catch, (not an easy water) their is a fair chance it will be of the size I am looking for.

I think I will concentrate on my water for the time being, in terms of hardship I think both waters hold the same degree of a chance happening, but as I said, my water gives me that extra bit of sport while I am waiting.
I most likely will have the odd visit elsewhere, but I have plenty to go at on this water just yet.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

"Your water, is more of a waiting game. The rewards are bigger and more prolific in that if you do catch, (not an easy water) their is a fair chance it will be of the size I am looking for."

Oh Yes they are! 3 Fish so far, all over 7......nice, very nice! :0)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Is it true that female tench can go double the weight of males?
If so, there could be 12lb females in your water Baz.

B

Steve.
It is reckoned that if there are male Tench to five pounds, then you can almost double it for the females. So I would reckon there are females to nine pound or a little less in this water which ties in nicely from what I have found out and seen.

Phil Hackett is fishing three rods, but I reckon I will still show him a cleen pair of eels at the end of the season.

Yoggy.
Next article will probably be in about 4-6 weeks, unless something special happens beforehand mate. Glad you enjoyed the article.
There was a funny episode with a fellow bailiff today who has bad eyesight. Barbed hooks on a barbless water being closely watched by one of the Ant heads. The look of sheer panic on his face was a joy to behold hahahahaaaaa.
I'll try to include the story in the next article.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
well thought out stuff baz, just wish i'd been joining you instead of shelling them out of a nearby water on tutti fruttis; in fact i'm now bored of this and will be seeking a new Tench challenge, perhaps some of this'hardship' you're discussing...

captain carrott

Reaction score
it is a good article mate. wish i could join you. but i'm having to put up with 3lb plus wild brownies on the fly at the moment.

B

I witnessed a near 8lb er come out last night.
This was the second biggest fish I have seen, and both from the same area.

It aint going to be easy either way Paul, each water has its own merits.
Unless I fish to where I now know they are hanging out, I will need a lot more luck than anything else.

B

Jase.
The water we had a look at has thrown some big Tench up in recent weeks. But I think this is one of the hardest waters that I know of.

B

Not that I have heard of mate, although I haven't been on there.

B

Sirs.
I would like to inform you sirs, that the next article sirs, will be sooner than I anticipated sirs,

Fank you.