big boilies

Liam Mccarlie

Reaction score
would you feed the same size boilies or other sizes as well?? + any body hadn any luck using a fake bit of corn on top of your boilie??

Steen Jensen

Reaction score
Well, The 20 mm boillie with size 6 hook had me started:) I would use a size 2 hook for 20mm boillies, at least!!

Steen.

richard turner

Reaction score
always mix your size of freebies as it keep the carp interested and they dont associate one size boily with danger.as for hook size i think its a personal thing as people will say big baits big hook but others will disagree just try put one on each rod and assess your catch rate from each rod dont be afraid to experiment m8 with the artifical baits.

U

unknownforce

agree with richard. also try doubling up some of the freebies by attaching them with spaghetti - works a treat and resulted in a pb for me last month

can assure you too that size 6 hook for 20 mm boilie is not a problem (i always use blowback rigs anyhow). i prefer keeping the tackle as light as possible. i have never used anything bigger than a 6, apart from when cat fishing

B

Big Rik

hook size to bait size ratio will make a difference on the mechanics of the rig.

Different hook patterns will work better with certain sized baits, but it's also dependant on the rig construction.

A carte blanche statement that you don't need a hook size bigger than a 6 is preposterous.
A size 6 longshank nailer is a completely different size and style of hook to an Ashima C-310 in size 6.

U

unknownforce

A carte blanche statement that you don't need a hook size bigger than a 6 is preposterous

i didnt

i use korda wide gape 6 as my largest hook, when fishing 20mm boilies

B

Big Rik

i fish 20mm boilies on a size 6 hook no problems

can assure you too that size 6 hook for 20 mm boilie is not a problem

Both of your statements and nowhere any mention of pattern or type.
Both of those are preposterous statements until you quantify them.

B

Big Rik

and I'm also a moderator and if you can't converse without swearing then you'll be banned.

L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

I use 50mm boillies on a size 4 SS for Bert's, different slightly as their gob is not designed to eject food...or hooks!

Liam Mccarlie

Reaction score
bik rik.
im currently fishing with esp big t raptor and the new longshanxs hooks you what hook size would you use when fishing with raptors and what size for lonshanxs.
cheers for your help much appreciated
liam

C

Christian Tyroll

didnt really need to say that did you unknownforce, could have just said your an idiot or i dont like you?

i have heard that the gape of the hook should almost be as wide as the boilie. obviously when you start using big baits like Lee this would be mad, but do you tend to stick to it up to a certain point?