When you buy tackle

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Or do you look at cheap junk.

Because I am an all-round angler, I tend to own a lot of tackle. Yet to be frank, I do not buy tackle all that often. The reason for this is that when I do buy a rod or a reel, it is the best I can afford. For instance my reels tend to be Shimano with the odd Daiwa thrown in. I have a deep mistrust for anything less.

My rods are mostly Drennan, Greys, and Harrison. The reason for this is that they are quality through and through. They perform and they last.

I have had some rods which have lasted me over 20 years.

What are you? Are you one of those that will bite your nails to the quick to get the cheapies, or are you more sensible and buy top class tackle, because at the end of the day it certainly is more cost effective and actually cheaper in the long term?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
The latter definitely. I usually buy second hand because I can get better value that way. Most of my rods are Hardy's (from the days when they made coarse and sea, as well as game rods). I also have a couple of MkIV's and Avons, an Allcock's Wizard and a Chapman Hunter. Fly reels are Hardy's; coarse reels are Mitchells or Ambidexes for fixed spools and Allcock centrepins (although I also have a cheap Strikeright Ultraflow which is brilliant, if a little unrefined). Most of the rods cost well under ?100 and the reels less than ?30. The best ones certainly did!

I've nothing against new tackle; if I find I need a rod or reel for a particular purpose I see what's about in the shops first. The trouble is I usually conclude they are either cheap rubbish, or have a particular feature I dislike (fixed reel seats for example!) and end up scouring second hand shops and tackle fairs for something suitable.

G

Ged

I wait for the sales or buy from Chatsworth. May be last years stock, but at half price etc, I have got some half decent gear at an affordable price.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have bought many top quality items second hand. Nothing wrong with that because you can often get the best for a good price.

What gives me the screams is the obscure named gear you see at places like Chatsworth on some of the stalls, especially that marquee with the east ender in it screaming:

"Arm not arsking for a tennah, Arm not even arskin for a fivah....

"3 quid!!!"

And all his mates run up and buy, just to get the crowd into the spirit of the thing.

And the people who enter that marquee are buying absolute junk!!

G

Ged

Watched him on Saturday.
Last two only. Sells both, ten mins later the same item, last two only.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

"As it's my last one, you can have it for a tenner."

"Hang on. It's scratched!"

"That's all right, I'll get you another from the van."

Del-Boy