"FREELINING"

Wayne T

Reaction score
Hello all,
As the start of the new season looms(already itching!) I'm starting to think through a few new approaches. Can anybody tell me exactly what is meant by free lining?

P

Paul Clarke

Freelining means exactly that Wayne - Nothng on your line except a hook and bait . So that means no weights or floats on the line

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What it say says on the can.

Nothing attached to the line save the hook and bait.

Mostly used when stalking individual fish with a heavy bait such as a slug,lobworm or lump of cheese to provide a bit of casting weight.

Travel light, keeping low with a pair of sunglasses to help spot fish and cast to any fish seen.

Either watch the bait to see if the fish has taken it but dont strike to soon especially with chub as you risk pulling the bait of out of the large mouth.Wait till the fish turns and you can feel its weight before you set the hook.

Where you cant see the fish and are fishing blind hold the line and feel for bites

P

Paul Clarke

There is the possibility of having a 'weighted' hook that can give you some extra weight for casting

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Flourocarbon line of about 6lb with a size 6 or 8 hook would suffice in most spots unless snaggy.

Very exciting fishing so have a go.

One variation is floating crust where you let the current take the bait down to any fish.Send a few freebies down first to see if any fish are present and get their confidence up.This can be very effective in streamy water at the start of the season.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Or freelined crust for carp --just dunk the crust in the water before you cast to give it a bit of weight

Wayne T

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments chaps. I'm thinking about trying it out downstream from a weir, where the current is quite fast. The water is probably about 8 meters deep in the middle and is very coloured - I have no idea whether there are fish there or not and thought that freelining may be a good way to discover any fishy presence! Does this sound like a good idea ?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Whether by accident or by design, you have hit on just about the worst place to try freelining. You'll never get a bait down through twenty five feet of fast water, even if the bottom part is - as they often are - almost still. If the fish are up near the top it might work, but there are better ways of tackling the job.

Wayne T

Reaction score
Apologies - my error! I meant 8 feet, not 8 metres !!!However, I now know not to freeline in exceedingly deep waters - always learning.....!

J

john conway

If you want to cast a long way or use light/small baits and free line, say on a still water or canal, you can always use a PVA bag clipped to your hook. I've use this method on a very shallow, clear canal fishing for grass carp at dusk/evening.