river nene

Liam Mccarlie

Reaction score
has anyone caught barbel out of the river nene. if so what stretch were they from?

Y

yoggy

Blimey Liam,now you`re asking!!!.The River Nene isn`t a renowned Barbel River,although the EA did stock them a few years ago.To the best of my knowledge the the river record stands at around just over the 12lb mark.Although i`m confident that larger fish have been caught and the anglers involved have chosen to keep very quiet about it!!! And quite rightly so!! ;-)

There are some very good stretches where Barbel have been spotted and caught but i`m afraid my lips are sealed on this one!!!

However,you can try Orton locks in Peterborough.This is a very popular venue with Barbel being caught quite often.In some cases they have been into double fiqures...good luck.

Jason Bird

Reaction score
Well said!

Where can i go to catch a Barbel??? Good question, but sadly your probably not going to get too much help with that line of attack!

Get out walk the weir's etc, its a lovely river, with some lovely Barbs!!

13/2 is my P.B. from the Nene. They are there in fact they are in quite a few stretches of the Nene if you 'Hunt Em Down'

Jas.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
your`e right jason.....yoggy and myself have tracked down barbel areas on the nene by following up on repoted sightings,hear say,talking to bailiffs and fellow anglers about confirmed captures etc...walking the banks and searching on the net.
we are not after any fame or glory by not divulging any info and keeping things to ourselves and i`m sure that in time,we will let folk know what we have found...for the mean time though liam,get out there and do some investigating because it`ll make any barbel caught that little bit more satisfying,
tight lines.

Y

yoggy

I agree,by putting in hardwork the capture of any fish makes the effort much more rewarding.I would say that 60% of my Barbel fishing is done without a rod!!!

The Nene is slowly an "up and coming" river,with Barbel being caught more often,as Jason rightly mentions the Nene is a lovely River with some super stretches and weirs.

I`m sorry to say this but there are alot of anglers out there who are just to lazy to make an effort themselves.You get out of fishing exactly what you put in!!.

Well done on the 13/2 Jason,a super fish mate.

Jason Bird

Reaction score
Thanks chap, it was two years ago now, i have moved since then and now chase em on the Ouse!!

Too many people are lazy, your bang on there!

The amount of people all dressed in 'Realtree'that used to ask my mate and I over the bridge........'Any Barbel here mate?'

Swift answer........No, were Chubbing!!

Yes there are loads at least 15 residents, 5 dubs, biggest the 13-2....... What do they expect?

Jas. Check out our site!
http://p092.ezboard.com/bbarbelfishingaintmyworld

Y

yoggy

Jas,a nice site mate,with a good variety of subjects,i`ll have a proper look tonight.oh i love the fisher-woman!!!.If they all looked like that most blokes wouldn`t get any fishing done!! ;-)

Radwell bridge maybe?

I also fish the Ouse,mainly at Radwell,Sharnbrook,etc...The Nene is obviously a different "kettle of fish" [excuse the pun!!],but its definately on the up and things can only get better,the future hopefully looks bright for the Nene which is a fantastic thought.The Barbel in the Nene are quite widespread and thin on the ground but once you`ve located them its exciting stuff!!!!,Cheers

Jason Bird

Reaction score
One of our 'Darkside' members fishes the Nene regularly, and i have witnessed him loosing a few!!!

He's a bit of a 'Numpty' but now he has some new rods and a matching pair of 'MAHOOSIVE' Okuma's Im sure he'll fair better.

He has a Nene P.B. of 11.10, so it just goes to show they are catchable! LMAO!
http://p092.ezboard.com/bbarbelfishingaintmyworld

honslow

Reaction score
They're everywhere the pace picks up Liam. Weirs, cuts and narrow stretches over gravel. It's not rocket science! There are also a Hell of a lot more of them than most anglers realise.