diy throwing stick

nicky

Reaction score
does anyone know of any sites that show you how to make a boilie throwing stick for carp fishing

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

You could get a piece of copper tubing of the required diameter,and bend it to shape with a plumbers spring, if you know a friendly plumber that is. Although we used to throw clay balls for a fair old distance with a straight piece of plastic tube when we were kids. Get a piece and try it, but cut the end at an angle first though.

nicky

Reaction score
Baz

I have already cut a piece of upvc tubing and inserted a handle into the botttom.
I haven't cut it at an angle though.
I tried it and while it worked of a fashion i wasn't consistent and some boilies were flying out too soon, i think it needs to be bent to get the flick required and to stop the boilie flying out before the correct direction is obtained.
I was thinking of warming it up somehow and bending the top section.

nicky

Reaction score
baz

I just bent it after heating it up over a naked flame, test tried it on the field out the front of my house it works a treat.

Only any good for 10mm boilies though, new i should have grabbed some of the thicker diameter stuff when i saw it

there were some various size pieces that had been thrown away outside my back gate

ps
after you were talking about jinkzed fishing rods etc recently I mentioned i sometimes get the same problem whenever i buy a new piece of kit the very next day I broke my duck and caught my first carp since buying a carp rod, reel and alarm, which i was beginining to think was jinkzed, seems talking about these problems can lift the curse, thanks baz

B

Cut the end at an angle Nicky and try it. We could throw them pretty straight at the time.

(This was for street battles by the way) We tended to throw them high and guage where they would come down.

B

Great stuff, all you need now is practce.

nicky

Reaction score
i'll try cutting it at an angle baz, i think thats how they are when you buy them.

i used to like making dutch arrows when i was a kid, with lead or copper attached to the bottom for extra weight, thinking about it they were lethal as they would go deep into the ground when they landed

Deanos

Reaction score
Think I saw you in the ?gangs of new york? Baz?I hope its not you who are terrorising poor Ronald on your honda fifty!?if it is?JUST GROW UP WILL YOU!

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Alan you want to see the groundbait throwing stick I made 20 + years ago based on a design by Dug Stermey.
Ed B. knows all about them.

When you've got you throwing technique in good order and the right sized ball 100 yards is quite easy.
Lock and load, lock and load!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There's a pitfall there for the unwary, isn't there? Twenty pillock-points to the first keenie to bait up a pitch at 120 yards, only to discover he can only cast 85...

...forty points for the second!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I used a home made throwing stick designed for maggots and casters for years, it might still be in the garage now in fact. Better than any catapult, more accurate, less spread but best of all its super quick to use and with one hand too. Lots of match anglers used them on river matches but of course you don't see that sort of fishing these days on the river. Like most things in life its all about technique, the more you do it the better you get.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
You can make a pretty handy small stick from that white plumbing "Polypipe", using a cut-down 45 degree elbow to give a tighter pattern - and to scoop up the feed - and a bit of cork in the bore to give the right cup volume. Not beefy enough for carp duty, though, I fear.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Alan
You?re right there is, but the secrete is to put a marker float out on one of the rods you?re going to be using, so you know you can cast to where you?re going to bait.

Only the dumb and dumber bait first and cast afterwards. But I?ve seen it done so many time and fell about laughing at their antics to reach it afterward. :0)