Dry fly

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
This is my second spring of fly fishing, mainly using nymphs.

A couple of times last year, and once this, I've tried using dries on the river.

What a nightmare!! My leader is spinning up terribly, to the extent that after a few casts it's totally useless.

Why is this happening, any suggestions to solve the problem?

Cheers

G

Grant Lever

are you using winged flies?could try using hackled...must be spinning in the air.

B

Blank Day Bob

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well. I had exactly the same problem earlier this week fishing Mayflies on the river Test. The problem is definitely on the water, not in the air, I watched them spinning but not on every cast. Maybe its the effect of wind on water?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Winged flies are part of the problem - using plain hackled flies will help. The other cause is too light a leader point. Do not use breaking strain as a guide for leader points as the modern thinner types of monofil, as well as the fluoros and copolymers, are too thin to turn the fly over or prevent it spinning, even though they may be plenty strong enough.

Decide what size fly you need first, then choose a point thickness in proportion. As a rough guide, a size 10 needs 0.23mm; 12 needs 0.20mm; 14 needs 0.18mm and 16 needs 0.15mm. There is a bit of leeway to go thicker, but don't go significantly below these diameters; to put it another way, don't go more than one hook size up.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Just picked up on this.

For river dry fly fishing use a steeply tapered knotless leader every time. You probably don't need more than 7 or 8 feet.

This should cure spinning.

B

Blank Day Bob

Thanks for the comments gents, but I was using an Orvis braded tapered floating leader with about 6' Fulling Mill 6lb Fluorocarbon tippet. I like the Fulling Mill precisely because it is quite springy and not floppy like some other fluoro's.
Still twisted though!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Don't think I'm getting all high and mighty Bob, But your casting might be the problem.

Have you ever had professional lessons from a casting pro?

If you are into fly fishing I would suggest you invest ?60 or so with a good teacher.

Spinning dry flies is something I have never sufferd with in my life.

B

Blank Day Bob

Sorry Ric, I seem to have hijacked your thread here.

Ron, I never get this problem on stillwaters only rivers and only with big wings like mayflies. I'll be the first to admit I am not a great caster but the problem was on the water not in the air and not every cast.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
It's ok Bob I haven't been around much, and it's an open forum!

I'm not using winged flies, just hackled ones. I also use a 9ft tapered leader with a short tippet of 5 lb nylon.

When I say the lines is spinning up it's not just a bit, it's horrendous!! the 10 foot leader ends up about 5 foot, the rest is all spun up!

Ron I'm interested to hear that you may think it's down to casting. My casting isn't brilliant, but I had a lesson before I started and a referesher a few months later. What casting flaws might cause this problem in your opinion?