How Rare is the Sticlkeback

Boon65

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was watching a fishing program the other day on sky and they were saying that the stickleback is quite rare. what i want to know is this true or not and what is the uk record for this fish

regards Boon65

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A colossal 7 grams is the record stickleback apparently, how would you weigh one of them on a set of avons I wonder?

There is a guy in this country who actually goes fishing for these type of fish didn't know they were rare though.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

There was a time when you found lots of sticklebacks in the stomach contents of reservoir trout. I haven't seen one on years.

Grafham Water used to be stuffed with sticklebacks in the 60s. This was the time when Walker's Polystickle was such an effective fly.

When I was a kid, sticklebacks were in every stream and local pond; not now. I must admit I have never seen or caught a stickleback in years.

L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

localised perhaps

never seen anything other than the three spined variety though.

I think there is a seven and ten spined as well.

Polystickle was still my best pattern on the bower last year though.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Throughout Europe there are 3 types, 3 spined Gasterosteus aculeatus10 spined Pungitious pungitious (UK present) and the Ukrainian Pungitious platygaster which also has 10 spines.

As Lee says might be rare to them locally, but nationally unless you live on the moon common.

K

Kevin Perkins * * * * * * *

Phil

We all bow to your piscatorial knowledge, but Boon65 is asking about the exceedingly rare, thought to be extinct, Sticlkeback (Spellchecker Notusedicus)for which the BRFC have a vacant place........

Sorry, Friday afternoon, can't wait for the weekend............

keora

Reaction score
No, it's not rare at all. It prefers still shallow waters, I don't think I've ever seen them in a river.

Last year I saw them in a complex of trout ponds in North Yorks, and in a well kept ornamental pond a few miles away.

This year I've seen them in a park pond.Some of the habitats of sticklebacks may be disappearing because of development and drainage, but the species is still alive and kicking.e

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

There is only a record for 3 spined

Wilstone Reservoir has lots of the ten spined variety

T

The Monk

I have 4 ponds in the garden and in all of the the sticlebacks breed, certainly not rare here

stuart clough

Reaction score
3-spined are one of the most widespread, and well studied species occupying waters of all shapes and sizes from tiny ponds and streams to large lowland rivers and glacial lakes. They are even found in brackish waters. The 9 (10) spined variety are much less common, but they can be locally abundant. My team caught several of both species last week in a survey on the Welsh Dee near Chester. 15 spined are a common and slightly larger marine version.

stikflote

Reaction score
we had a fishing match last week at Curborough farm staff,s i caught a lot of stickle backs, on a maggot theres loads in there