Quiver tip rating

Fagey

Reaction score
I have two Pro Performance feeder rods and neither have a weight rating on the quiver tips. Is there a way of assessing it, i.e. by attaching leger bombs to them and seeing how far they bend or am I being a donkey?

E

EC

If I am not mistaken, the test curve rating on rods was judged by whatever weight was needed for the rod to be pulled through a 90 degree angle from butt to tip. So a 2LB TC rod would bend through 90degrees with a 2lb weight on the end!

I think, quiver tips are rated in the same way, so you probably could make a 'guestimation' by tying a couple of leger weights to your tips and seeing how far the tip bends!

Fagey

Reaction score
Thanks Eddie, I was concerned I would overload them resulting in a breakage.

E

EC

Rather than mess about with leger weights in the house mate, go fishing and see how it performs for real.

Try a small open end feeder first, with some groundbait, cast it out, then maybe up the feeder size a bit if casting feels comfy and so on! After a while of upping the size of the feeder, and once the max size is reached or surpassed, the rod just won't feel right!

Fagey

Reaction score
Cheers Eddie.
Weather permitting I'll have a bash this weekend.

captain carrott

Reaction score
they don't tend to break by putting too heavy a weight on them. but you need to balance them to the flow conditions.

soft tips will pull right round and make them useless for bite indication in a flow which is too strong for them, very soft tips wil even do this with the effects of strong wind on the line in still waters.

to test the rating of the tip tie a loop in the end of a piece of line and a link swivel onto the other end of it put the loop through the tip eye of the quiver tip.

then attach bombs to the link swivel once it reaches a 90 degree bend that is the rating of the tip. e.g if a 20z bomb is needed to bend the 90 degrees then it's a 2oz tip.

Fagey

Reaction score
Thanks Captain, those were the lines I was thinking along but didn't know how much of a curve I should look for.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I did much the same thing with a selection of Drennan screw-in quivertips, out of curiosity. Strangely, a one ounce lead pulled the one ounce rated tip around by only about 60 degrees; the same went for the two and three ounce tips. So how did Drennan come up with their ratings?