Safe storage for Large Jerkbaits

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I've just bought 12 large Fox Jerkbaits, which I want to store safely (they cost too much to just throw into a bucket!).

Can anyone recommend a suitable box or similar for storing them so that the trebles don't damage the other jerkbaits?

C

Chris Bishop

Drill holes around the rim of the bucket and hang them off these..? Nice and easy, lures dry out and you can put other stuff like unhooking tools etc in the bucket bit of the bucket, if you get my drift.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Hook bonnets and the above suggestion? Hang the lure by the tail hook and put a bonnet on the belly treble. Problem solved.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ive got a Plano "hanging lure" box.Size of a small seat box takes best part of 100 large lures hung vertically.They are not cheap in this country I brought mine whilst in the US.

A cheap but usefull alternative is to buy a cheapo carp type holdall off Ebay,buy a couple of lengths of suitable diameter plastic pipe from B&Q (or use any old rod tubes you have laying around,cut them to length (same as depth of holdall)stand them in the holdall upright (I put a few turns of masking tape around them all) and you have your own Lure Caddy.

Giles Hill

Reaction score
"Can anyone recommend a suitable box or similar for storing them so that the trebles don't damage the other jerkbaits?"

The main things you need are easy access and a system that avoids them tangling together. A bucket with holes in the rim is a good solution.

They don't get damaged hanging in a bucket. It's when you're using them that the hooks rub on the body and wear the paint off. Worse still, pike sometimes mistake them for food - after a time this can completely ruin them! Not such a problem with Fox lures, the paint tends to fall off on its own.

To keep them in pristine condition cover them in pipe lagging before use and fix the hooks down with gaffer tape.

Ian Rimmer

Reaction score
Flambeau Maximiser,similar to the Plano but easily available in this country

G

Gary Knowles

I'm with Chris re: the bucket - easiest and best. don't forget to drill holes in the bottom of the bucket for drainage.

As for the Jerks, If they are any good they won't be in pristine condition for long...

B

Budgie Burgess

Strangely enough I got hold of a massive plastic tool box the other day for free.Im going down to B&Q in the week to see what sizes and how much square plastic tubing comes in.Going to rig out part of the box with this for hanging large lures whilst converting the rest of the space to take a spinner bait box,soft plastic lure container and storage for traces,spare hooks,tools etc.Going to try and design/make a custom made "lure fishing" trip box.Just fed up with carting around loads of different boxs and lures Im not going to use!

I reckon square tubes may be more economical on space than round? and a lot easier to make than trying to build in dividers.Any thoughts?

E

Eric Hayes

Budgie that sounds like a good idea. You could cut slots in the middle of each side of the square that way you can get upto 4 lures like spoons and other small/thin lures in without the trebles tangling.

A bucket isn?t the best idea, that?s what I was using before I got the Lure Caddy. I would say it was adequate but a long way from ideal. the caddy has straps for unhooking tools, pockets for bits and you can sit on it. also you don't look like Worzil Gumage when your on the bank.

Giles Hill

Reaction score
Worzil Gumage!!

Eric, a caddy is fine if you play golf.

The Rozemeijer looks nice. However, don't you find it gets uncomfortable if you're walking & casting all day? I've had problems before with all the weight on one shoulder and prefer a rucksack for cameras etc.

IMO the lure 'bouquet' is the thing to have because:

1. I don't have to open it to get my lures out.

2. I don?t need a bag with pockets because I have pockets in my trousers / coat and prefer to keep my unhooking gear there so I can reach it with one hand, having picked the fish out of the water with the other - as opposed to landing the fish, looking for somewhere to put fish, taking bag off, opening bag, removing unhooking tools from special compartment etc.

3. Bouquets come with excellent ventilation and you can easily install a drainage system to create a dry environment so your hooks don?t rust too much ? they also have a central access chamber allowing WD40 to be applied liberally.

4. The lure bouquet retails at ?1.50, which means I can afford 4. I store most of my lures in 3 and transfer just the relevant ones for the water I'm fishing that day. (In theory).

5. I don?t need a caddy to sit on, I just sit on my bottom.

Proper pikers look like Worzel Gummidge, carpikers wear designer Realtree and have coordinated luggage. :)

C

Chris Bishop

Agree with having tools in pocket, that's common sense. Even in relative confines of boat I find when I put things down I have to scrabble about for pliers/forceps when I get a visitor.

E

Eric Hayes

Giles, I don?t leave the Lure Cady on my shoulder when I'm casting, I tend to place it on the floor close to where I'm fishing. And because its square if it falls over it wont roll down the bank

I don?t have to open it to get my lures out or the unhooking gear. It has a stiff lid so I just flip it back and all the lures are easy to get at and the unhooking tools are all on the front webbing straps. Honest I don't have a problem lifting pike out and unhooking them when I'm not using my `Bouquet`

You must have some big pockets. Long handled Long nose pliers, 12" forceps, side cutters. Where do you put spare trebles and split rings....Whatever!

The Lure caddy has vents all over the underside thus adding lure drying.

I sit on my bottom it's just that I prefer something other than the cold wet ground under it.

The lure caddy doesn?t make you look gay or anything but I bet walking around with your Bouquet increases the length of your penis by a good 4? ;o)

Proper Pikes don?t look like Worzel Gummidge except the ones walking around with Bouquets. Proper Pikers look like Army deserters, well the ones I know do....

"Agree with having tools in pocket"

Well you would :O)

Giles Hill

Reaction score
'I bet walking around with your Bouquet increases the length of your penis by a good 4? ;o)'

lol - I forgot to mention that.

It's an uncomfortable way to carry a 3lb bucket, but it works!

B

Budgie Burgess

Nice one Giles!

Well the trip to B&Q was a complete waste of time couldnt find any suitable tubing.The round was either too big or too small! the only square I could find was conduit with the removable cover,once again no good.Couldnt find any guttering down pipe (Im sure Ive seen that in square?) any one any ideas for square tube? If it comes to it I can use some old round rod tube I have but liked the idea of square.

E

Eric Hayes

Budgie You can get down spout in square, I've got it on my house. B&Q are crap, try a proper plumbers merchants they will sort you out.

B

Budgie Burgess

Cheers Eric I will try my local builders/plumbers merchant.

This carting around of thousands of lures in a mutitude of boxs is really pants! It really detracts from the origonal joy of one rod, a set of long nose pliers and a couple of plugs in your pocket that I used to enjoy so much as a lad!

I know what I will do! I will put my Plano box inside the giant tool box,inside the Plano I will put my Flambou,inside that my ABU Old Pal (anyone still remember those? or should I say still got one they havnt "melted" with their soft plastics?)in side the ABU I will put my Spinnerbait Box which will contain a plastic zip-lock bag with a 5" Copper spoon in it!

Will still have all the street cred and probably catch just as much as well!Could sell off the rest of the lures and pay back Zambia's national debt!

C

Chris Bishop

"Agree with having tools in pocket"

Well you would :O)

lol....!

C

Chris Bishop

I know someone with a massive lure collection. It's almost embarrassing sometimes. When he goes fishing, it's like moving house.

Haven't you tried a deep diving semi-suspending nose-weighted mega-blasting musky slaying Mamma-slammer yet..?

Err, no. I've just got a spoon on. What's one of those..?

It's a bit like the shallow diving semi-suspending nose-weighted mega-blasting musky slaying Mamma-slammer. Except it goes down a bit deeper. Here, look - they come in 10 colours.