Zebra Mussels

Joskin

Reaction score
Dont know if they are any good but you are allowed to use them.
Probably a bit on the small side.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Lets hope they dont catch or some idiot will try and import live ones from the Erne system in Ireland, hidden in his car,and if caught will claim he intended to kill them first and use them fresh in English rivers, and the authorities would naively believe him.

P

Paul Christie

Surely you are not serious?

After the damage they have done in Ireland, why would you want to risk ruining the water in the process?

No one need be so desperate to get an edge by putting the future fishing at risk in doing so.
Lets stick to safe new ideas.

Joskin

Reaction score
Cant see a problem with it if they are only used on waters that already hold Zebras.

njb51

Reaction score
I'm not going to move them to any water. Only potentially use them in the water they inhabit.

P

Paul Christie

Jonny, do you know of waters that definately hold them in England?

I they were a stable food source, you would expect there would have been an improvement in the fish stocks in the likes of L.Derg, which is full of them?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Do any fish that feed on shellfish in our freshwaters have the neccesary strength / teeth to crush a mussel shell?

Serious question as I don't know and if these were a viable natural food source the fish would have to get through the shell first. Nature doesn't shell their food for them.

C

Christian Tyroll

Chub could i guess? They've got those loverly rings of teeth down their throat, but do they have the intelligence to work out what/how to do?

njb51

Reaction score
"Jonny, do you know of waters that definately hold them in England?"

Yes, blue pool last year had them all over the place.

P

Paul Christie

Jonny

If they are zebra's, its got to be bad news for the country if more so your area. I suppose it's inevitable that they will spreed. If the water isn't like tap water, it soon will be as they will filter it clear of any colour.

If they are zebra's, there should be clumps of them latched onto rocks, stones, swan mussels, each other and they are dark with a dull stripey look in my experience.

I suspect some waters will suit them far better. Is the water a stoney bottom?

T

Terry D

The St Lawrence River used by Jeff Vaughan in the Canadian Carp Club is full of zebra mussels. The carp munch them off the rocks and some have what looks like very badly chewed up lips. However, they don't seem to mind and eat any other bait that goes in as well, so using them as actual bait shoundn't be a problem. On the good side, if there is one, being filter feeders they really clean the water up.

njb51

Reaction score
The water is quite clear at times and has a gravel bottom.

The blue pool was featured in Friday night's Carp Crew - they weren't using Zebras though.

Do you reckon they would be effective as an alternative bait? Worth a try I suppose?