Help - baiting advice needed

barney10

Reaction score
I've been out of the carp fishing for years now and just getting back into it . It all seems to be spod crazy ,does the simple boilie approach still work ? If so should they be baited tightly around the hookbait or scattered etc ... Help please ladies and gentlefolk !
Barney10

laguna

Reaction score
I've been out of the carp fishing for years now and just getting back into it . It all seems to be spod crazy ,does the simple boilie approach still work ? If so should they be baited tightly around the hookbait or scattered etc ... Help please ladies and gentlefolk !
Barney10

Hi Barney,
Sure it still works! Most anglers I fish with prefer a tightly grouped offering of freebies -especially on pressured commercial puddles, hence the idea of PVA bags and bait bombs while some prefer to scatter a few boilies and other particles over a general area around the hookbait on the bigger lakes.

Nothings changed, we still make it up as we go along! ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience both methods will work on different venues.

One small lake that I fish responds very well to small PVA bags of small or crushed boilies whereas a larger semi-commercial lake I fish only seems to resond to ample quantities of spod mix.

When using a spod mix I tend to favour Haith's Euro Mix; it only need to be covered in hot water and left overnight. I add a large tin of condensed milk and a couple of small tins of tuna to a large bait bucket-full.

mol

Reaction score
Barney10

Being different in carp fishing is often very sucessful, if everybody is spodding then using straight boilie might be a good idea. I very often fish straight boilie.

I like a scattered baiting pattern, gives the carp a larger target to find and it's also not as popular as a tightly baited pattern. I very rarely use PVA, I don't want carp feeding too close to my hooklink, I think you're asking for the carp to bump into the hooklink.

barney10

Reaction score
Thanks one and all . Next question ,is there any sort of quantity to fire out ? You read articles saying putting out ex number of kilos ,well if we had sponsorship then all well and good so is there any rule of thumb ? Or just keep trickling in the bait ?

I think i'm short on confidence ! :confused:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It surely depends o nthe venue and stocking levels

Drayton for example - the fish respond to the pellet waggler tactic but using a method waggler - pellet o nthe hair a few feet below and a steady firing of pellets over the top

the trick is timimg your pellet firing so the gulls can't get them

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've used it in my mixes ever since Frothey put me onto it some time ago.

It really gives a great 'slick' effect whereas the condensed milk adds to the general 'clouding' effect.

I've found that Haith's Euro Mix is really convenient to use, and can be mixed on the bank if necessary and then left for only a few hours before its usable.

I do prefer to use the bait boat over the spod, as the spod seems to be pretty messy mostly.