poles

carpman

Reaction score
hi out there i was thinking that i might start up pole fishing could anyone let me know of a good starter pole to get and to see if i like pole fishing.cos i have seen one on ebay a max performance one 9m.many thanks.

Joskin

Reaction score
Buy a pole made by a reputable company. If you buy the cheap rubbish it may well be too floppy and heavy. I would recomend looking at the Map CFS range, they are well made, relativly light and stiff. At 13m with 3 tops ?120 or 14m 4 tops for ?140 brand new on ebay.

What ever you buy be sure you get one that comes with enough tops. Minimum of 3 as you will need one top to use as a cupping kit at at least two tops with different elastics.

carpman

Reaction score
i have found a ron thompson reload pole for ?80. is that a good make.many thanks carpman1974.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

Don't expect a lot for anything less than a hundred quid unless you buy a margin pole - 9 metres or less. Ten years ago, you wouldn't get anything less than ?400, but nearly everyone produces a half-decent pole now in the lower ?100 mark.

Allow for a couple of bungs, bushes, elastic, and the Stonfos for the end.

Daiwa produce a nice one now called the Meanstreak and Maver do a nice selection. Choose whether you want it for silver fish or carp. If carp you want one with power tops, Maver Moby **** for example.

If all you want is a short margin pole to try - look at the Hot Spot or shop around on ebay for Browning Agressor or Border Marauder.

Joskin

Reaction score
I would agree with everything Jeff has said.

And no I dont rate the ron thompson stuff at all.

Stick to Daiwa, Shimano, Drennan, Map, Maver or Garbolino.

If you see something you fancy post the make and model here and myself and others can give you our opinions on them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Each of us have our own favourite pole manufacturers I suppose and Joskin's list above is a good starting point. To that list I would add both Milo and Preston, especially the more expensive models.

As a 'starter' pole you are not going to break the bank to buy one, so maybe the Maver, Shimano and Drenan ranges are worth studying.
Personally, I don't like most of the Maver poles as mostly I find them too thick at the butt end, poorly balanced and none too stiff.

The Drennan range is excellent value for money and if I were going to start out all over again then I'd probably opt for one of their cheaper models.

The problem that I see with beginning pole fishing is that you don't want to spend a fortune in case you just don't like it, or cannot manage to fish the style at all.

Therefore, why not see if you could arrange a few sessions with other anglers and try out their poles before parting with any cash?

If you are down Salisbury way then let me know and you can experiment using some of my poles.

Joskin

Reaction score
I would advise against Milo reason being that I recently broke 2 sections of my ?1000 milo pole and cant get the spare sections for love nor money. Other than that the Milo was a great pole but I will stay away from them in the future.