If Waterlog can do it?

W

Wolfman Woody

I see James Townsend's (if it is the same) still got his sense of humour. That "Sh*t Creek Paddle Store" look typically Australian.

It's a good idea and I wish we could do it. As they say - a picture's worth a thousand words.

F

Fred Bonney

I think Mark,it would need, constant moderating on here!

C

Christian Tyroll

i like the idea but whats wrong with the links, there dead easy now?

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

Graham said he was always afraid of someone putting up a picture of a knob, but I did once.

It was on the kitchen door, a lovely round brass one.

C

Christian Tyroll

I dont have a clue what is going on there!

Anyone else understand?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Is it just me or are there no dates and times of posting on the Waterlog forum?

I suppose time does not matter in Waterlog world!

Green Drake

Reaction score
Nothing matters in the world of Waterlog - not even fish. Take out a subscription via their website and enter a gentler and indeed soporific world of learned discourse and inner contentment. All prospective subscribers must guarantee to catch (in the traditional season only)no fish larger than seven ounces on nothing more than a single strand of white Spanish stallion's horsehair.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Green LOL. I have been a buyer and then a subscriber from the outset and fully subscribe to the ethos although I am probably a little too keen to be a true disciple. That said I had my first cane caught fish on Sunday night - shame it was on a hair rigged boily.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Forum pics, and other gizmos, are being considered and developed by the techies at FM. Forum pics are now being seriously considered following the less offensive nature of the forum in recent weeks.

Yet another benefit of giving a little thought to common sense before posting a hurried reply.

Green Drake

Reaction score
Dear Mr Blake.
I've done horsehair on the Royalty and moved on to the sublime challenge of plaited spider web (stronger than steel don't you know) on the upper Test.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

I am certain that I'll be branded a luddite (again) by some, but I would really question the necessity of including pictures into forum posts.

To start with, why would we need to pictorially illustrate a forum narrative?
Currently we can include a link to a picture or another web page, so what is the advantage of including the picture itself?

Not knowing too much about computers in general, but wouldn't the inclusion of pictures make the downloading of a forum section or individual page longer?

If one absolutely needs to illustrate the written word then the addition of italic, bold and other text marking seems to be more than sufficient, is it not?

Some years ago I used to visit a few other angling web site forums, but soon became very bored with the (tedious) use/overuse of cartoons, pictures and those smiley things that, to me, only indicate the writer's lack of ability to use the written word.

Just my opinion, others will have alternative views I am sure.

Okay, fire away - open season I suppose.

C

Christian Tyroll

Hmmm, im with Peter on this, i like it the way it is.
I also like trying to guess what is on the end of Warrens and etcs links, adds a bit of surprise to the posting.
I feel , like Peter we dont need to illustrate a forum and im starting to like the italics, bold and underline features!
Surely it will be more hasle for little , if any benefit?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I quite agree Peter - said the same thing myself when a Waterlog forum contributor asked why the forum was so basic and did not allow pictures (this limitation has since been overcome by the use of external picture-hosting software). When I suggested that such a facility would inevitably be abused, I was roundly criticised.

The written word should suffice to convey one's meaning; if a diagram is deemed necessary - of a rig for example - a link is perfectly adequate. If your want to be particularly instructive why not submit it as an article?