The BBC "At it" . . . . . . Again!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Taken from another site

Take a look at the picture accompanying this article:

BBC News - EU fisheries reform would 'privatise oceans'

The actual article is about new quota ideas for Trawlers, and yet the picture shows a fish caught, obviously, by an angler.

Either the BBC are totally ignorant of the difference between professional fishermen and anglers, or they are trying it on, again, to show anglers in a poor light.

You can use the following link to record your complaints:

NewsWatch | Contact us | BBC News general feedback

barbelboi

Reaction score

beerweasel

Reaction score
Sent mine too :) Oh by the way remember not to watch Knobson green's new fishing series, he's hardly an ambassador for our sport.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Sent.

Don't watch gobson anymore either. He comes over as being somewhat thick and extemely irritating.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I read this article via my iphone BBC News app this morning and saw the pic then. I thought it was just another very sloppy piece of editing for the app - because almost every day their app news contains poorly worded or totally misspelt material. Whoever edits it needs sacking. Very, very poor quality English considering the vast amount of money the BBC has to play with.

Mind you, I'll prefer a sloppy BBC News to a slick Fox News; at least you know it's not deliberately misleading!

mol

Reaction score
Taken from another site

Take a look at the picture accompanying this article:

BBC News - EU fisheries reform would 'privatise oceans'

The actual article is about new quota ideas for Trawlers, and yet the picture shows a fish caught, obviously, by an angler.

Either the BBC are totally ignorant of the difference between professional fishermen and anglers, or they are trying it on, again, to show anglers in a poor light.

You can use the following link to record your complaints:

NewsWatch | Contact us | BBC News general feedback

They've used a pic of fish caught by fisherman to illustrate an article about fisheries. They must have a secret agenda against all recreational fishermen! Come to think of it PETA is an acronym as is the BBC, the conspiracy deepens!

I fail to see how this article paints recreational fisherman in a bad light, which is probably because it doesn't. To the vast majority of the population, that doesn't know better because they don't fish, they'll see a pic of a fish caught by a fisherman thats all. Maybe a hint sloppy journalism, although I think the picture is valid, but painting anglers in a poor light it certainly isn't; unless you're ashamed of sticking a hook in a fishes mouth or a picture of hooks sticking into a fishes mouth?

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
I dont believe its anti angling .However one wonders how many of their reports of other things are also portrayed wrong and that Joe Public takes as gospel

Reaction score
Le's face it chaps...us anglers have a great big chip on our shoulders, which at times makes us hyper sensitive to the sort of image shown.

At the end of the day - WE HOOK FISH IN THE MOUTH!

Come on be honest. In truth there is absolutely no way of rationally justifying this to a none or anti angler.

One problem is I love my fish as you all do, but it is very difficult to explain why to a none or anti angler. It's what people are brought up with around them that makes things seem 'normal' or acceptable.

My colleague - a non angler, but not an anti just can't see the attraction. If you stop and think about it then it does seem a pretty silly thing to do. But so is hitting a ball with a bat to stop it hitting some wooden stumps - just don't throw the ball at the stumps in the first place then you wouldn't have to hit it with the bat. Then there's plane spotting - so you've just seen a 747, now what?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Le's face it chaps...us anglers have a great big chip on our shoulders, which at times makes us hyper sensitive to the sort of image shown.

Not entirely true. What the BBC have done, either intentionally or by acident is to plant a subliminal message in peoples minds to connect destruction of our fish stocks with angling rather than commercial trawling or netting which are the real culprits.

It's all part of a great conspiricy, the BBC is an arm of PETA! I'm not paranoid but everybody's out to get me.