I am perplexed

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have just picked up that the EA are to hold a fun day to teach fly fishing on 1st and 2nd of July at our local Thrybergh reservoir. I think this is a great idea.

However reading further on I notice the following:

"1st July it is reserved for ethnic minorities!!!!"

"2nd July for ladies!!!"

I am now very serious. I have lived for 27 years of my life where racial and sexual discrimination was written into the statute book. I did what I could to fight against such laws.

When I see such racial and sexual discriminatory "rules" being put into print in a country that supposedly is a champion of equality and fair play, I get very angry indeed.

Come on EA, explain yourselves.

Why the racism and sexism???

Come on, I want to know why?

Nigel Connor!!!

captain carrott

Reaction score
it is not possible to be either racist or sexist against white males in england. these are the people that all of the equality laws are designed to discriminate against.
it's a mirracle that we manage to get anywhere at all when the laws are designed to hinder us at every turn.

i must admit though the laws are doing their job in one way with girls now out performing boys in education at every turn.

R

Why couldn't they say: "All are welcome".

C

Chris Pearson

Ron,
I think it is a great idea to teach our new brothers how to fly fish,given their low per capita income they will now be able to enjoy a much healthier diet rather than the usual chub and barbel they have grown accustomed to from the Don and the Rother.
I'm sure Rotherham Council will grant them concessionary tickets,just think of all the new friends you're going to make and all the new languages you'll soon pick up.
Could you give me a shout when they organise a lesbian day!!!
Joking aside I am in full agreement,the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce now has indepedant "Ladies" and "Black" sections,can you imagine the furore if one was to suggest a "Male Caucasion" section?
We should all be actively campaigning for social inclusion rather than segregation,why do our political masters not learn from history?
I suggest you turn up on both days and demand equal opportunities!!

captain carrott

Reaction score
because if rotherham council are organising it, they will have worked out how much you have slagged them off.
they will have also worked out that this is a personal ban on you attending.
so it's the easiest way to use the race laws to ban all white males from attending the event.

R

Jason,

It appears to me that the EA are organising it.

Thanks for trying to be serious Chris. I do feel we must be serious about this one. All peoples must be introduced to the sportsmanship and delights of angling, not just fly fishing.

Me old mate Nelson would be disgusted with statements like this. He fought all his life for the true equality of all peoples.

There should be no racial laws. Do you want us to revert to the travesty that was apartheid?

Talk to me about it?

I know how bad it was.

R

Oh and by the way, when I arrived in Joburg in 1967, the law prevented women from entering a pub!!!

Beecy

Reaction score
seriously though, surely this cant be legal?

If a couple of white schoolkids turn up to fish would they realy be allowed to turn them away?

R

It seems that that might be the case.

But let me investigate this further

C

Chris Pearson

Ron,
"Do you want us to revert to the travesty that was apartheid?"

No Ron,I certainly do not and completely agree with you that racial/sexual segregation of this type, seemingly promoted by the EA is not the way forward,it just reinforces what I feel is so wrong with current political(and feminist) policies.

R

OK here we go:

The following is on the "England Ladies Fly Fishing Association" website.

The Elfa slogan is, wait for it:

"Friendship, Fellowship and Competition!!"

www.elfa.org.uk

The Title is "Tuition Days" and even worse, it appears that only females will be involved.

I quote:

"The EA are organising two days on 1st and 2nd of July on Thrybergh Reservoir - Rotherham. The first day is allocated to ethnic minorities, the second day to ladies. To reserve a place phone 01709 850353.

Really guys, can you imagine the uproar if we organised a day for white males???

It is truly difficult for me to understand why there has to be a "Ladies Fly Fishing Association" for a start. Can you imagine anyone starting a "Men's Fly Fishing Association"??

It poses the question: What for?

Where are such organisations leading?

Perhaps there are women out there who can explain to me the reason for this blantant sexism and racism - this anachronistic load of balderdash that has reared it's ugly head in these supposedly enlighted times?

I rest my case.

T

The Monk

all a bit dodgy if you ask me, what about a teachin for ruffe slappers? or will that be the ladies one?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Yours not to reason why.
Yours but to catch on fly.

Deanos

Reaction score
Oh come on Ron!?get yourself to Marks and Sparks, into the ladies section, get kitted out as a woman befitting your ?mature? years.
Then turn up on the lesbian day?thrash them into the ground with your superior fishing skills, and when time is called for the fish-in, drop your pants, give em the shock of their lives, then leg it before some ugly butch bird with loads of earrings and doc martins tries to kick you in your nick knacks for upsetting her bird!
Just a suggestion!

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Surely this is discrimination, some do gooder getting brownie points by showing he/she can be selective! Whatever happened to equality for all? An appalling state of affairs indeed, and the EA need bringing to task for misappropriaton of funds by the fact they are discriminating against the very core of revenue providers. Were licence payers consulted on how monies should be spent in raising awareness of angling, i think not! They know very well they would have recieved a very large get stuffed tablet from the vast majority. What a waste, it's quite simple, if ethnics, or Ladies wish to fish, they will approach a local organisation. Please, could we have a day reserved for the token ordinary person! Or better still, no reservations, just open to all!

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Ron whilst neither, agreeing, or disagreeing with what you say. I would point out that the EA from its research on licenses found under-representation of both groups per capita of the population. It then issued a report on the subject with a suggested action plan (see link)
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/569882/1342813/?referrer=/subjects/fish/

This is also coupled with a consultation that DFRA are running until Sept. 30 2006
If you feel strongly about it, then make a representation to them after reading the document.
Bear in mind that all representations made are put on the public register and are viewable on the net. See link to DFRA consultation

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/outdoorsdiversity/

R

Phil,

I note on my licence that it does refer to ones gender, but there is nothing about ethnic or racial background. That is unless the post office person makes a tick somewhere that we cannot see.

Angling has alway been a predominantly male persuit, just as soccer, rugby and snooker have. That is a fact of life.

Remember an old saying about the human race. We are hunter/gatherers by nature, the men go fishing and the women go shopping!

However I have been involved with many angling clubs in my life and one no occasion were women descriminated against. In fact some of the female anglers I have met have been as good, if not, better than the males. Some of the greatest fly casters in the world are female - Joan Wulff for example.

Having seperate sections for women in angling clubs is not a good idea. Let's all treat each other equally no matter what your gender or ethnic backgound might be.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Ron, the EA nor anyone else said women or ethnic minorities were being discriminated against regarding fishing. That would be patently a lie!
It said they were under represented, so in attempting to redress that, it?s offering them the opportunity through its action plan to experience fishing in an environment of like mined individuals of similar ability.

So what?s wrong in that?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Ron,

I can't comment on the legality of this as its an area of law of which i know next to nothing.

I would make two points which partly contradict themselves:

1) I would have thought encouraging beginners to the sport of whatever variety would be reason enough to run the events without limiting them to certain categories.By all means promote them to certain sectors who are not traditionally involved in the sport but dont limit it to those sectors.

2) I suppose anything that is done to promte the sport should be welcomed.

Very interesting discussion on R4 this morning whe when argument put foreward was that multiculturarism was actually encouraging isolation of minorities by refusing them access to the majority culture which by and large they wanted to join.Food for thought?

R

Nothing Phil, but you might misunderstand me.

When you have lived under a racist and sometimes sexist regime for many years, I do get peed off with organisations, specifically town councils and government departments that document race and origin blatantly.

"Ethnic minorities" - b*****ks!!!!

We are all Homo sapiens as far as I'm aware.