never fished a river

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
is there much difference in river fishing than pleasure fishing for carp,would like to try it some time,can i use the same tackle as i use for carp,only been fishing four 3 years,some info please

C

Christian Tyroll

When you say fishing for carp Tony what sort of size fish are catching and on what tackle?

E

EC

Tony a lot of lads fishing for barbel on rivers, use rigs and methods not too far removed from carp fishing mate!

Do a search on the articles section, Lee Swords done a few boss articles last year if you are thinking of fishing a big river for barbel!

J

john conway

Yes there is a big difference and how big the difference depends on the size and type of river you want to fish and the species of fish you want to target.
It would help if you could tell us which river you were thinking about and the fish you would like to catch?
Where do you live?
Are the carp rods the only rods you have?
Do you know the test curve of your rod? If it?s a bit on the numb side there are a few tricks, which we could use to make it sensitive to the delicate bites of smaller fish, but playing a small fish on a numb carp rod has its problems.
Are you willing to buy another rod?
What do you know about float fishing?
Keep talking Tony and we?ll help you out.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As John as said more info would help us give beter advise. Most genral carp rigs are fine for Barbel as Eddie says. I would just go with the running rigs and a knotless knot to a size 8 or 10 to start. Hook length around 8 to 12 inches.

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
sorry i am late in replying to your great info,keep getting cut off on aol,just got back on.iuse the pool,have 3 top section for my pool,8 14 20elastic.plus a13ft feeder rod,and a carp rod,christain i mostle use the pool,and have yet to catch my first double carp.i live in birmingham,and was thing of fishing the river seven,is the pool ok to use with 20 elastis,plese tell me how to catch a double,come close a few times,but i allways fail.my

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Tony it is a massive move from carp fishing, but please, please, please do try it.
Your feeder rod will be up to the job, don't know about the pole though?
You will gain so much pleasure and satisfaction catching wild river fish, honestly. It won't be easy, but if you crack it once, you won't look back.
You could probably pick up a nice float rod, reel deal for thirty quid, just to get you started.

Go for it mate! I will give you all the advice I can and so will everybody else.
It breaks my heart that more anglers never experience the thrill of fishing rivers and running water.

Good luck Tony, just ask.

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
thanks for that stev,they do say you never no what you might catch on the river,will keep you informed and you lot as well.thanks

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Dont worry about catching a 20. I still have never caught one best is a 18Ib common. Enjoy the fishiung learn the skills and the rest will come.

With regards to the Severn follow Steve's advice and stick with the feeder leave the pole at home. Fish as if fishing for 15Ib carp and you won't go far wrong. I have had 7Ib barbel fight harder than 15Ib carp.

There are lots of informative article on here. If your not sure about something just post the question with as much info as possible.