Software Counterfeiting

J

john ledger

Anyone else getting this pop up on their computer.
I know why its coming up and can take it off in restore but obviously comes back in auto updates.
Anyone know how to get rid permanently.
I did pay full wack for Windows XP

njb51

Reaction score
Mine keeps telling me that - I keep telling it that I am aware but it's a persistent little bugger!

E

EC

Have either of you had a virus since you initially installed it?

J

john ledger

Eddie
No virus as i have F-Secure as a firewall.
I have just been in touch with the company that built my computer and they have told me to bring the tower in and they will remove it free of charge.
That tells me they have been installing copies of Windows XP and charging for an original.Reckon Microsoft are on their case and everybody elses and checking on the codes

njb51

Reaction score
It's part of a 'software update' - microsoft are 'cracking down' on people using counterfeit software.

It's not really annoying as you can just click it off when need be.

E

EC

Ouch!

Get in there quick before the letter from microsoft lands on their doorstep!

I know a few people whom have had windows, had to reinstall after certain viruses, and have then had the same pop up message!

J

john ledger

Jonny
Take computer back in System restore which removes the icon and dont download updates,at least it will give you some peace until you can sort it.
Every time you download updates the pop up returns

njb51

Reaction score
it doesnt annoy me - all it does is make me wait 5 seconds before it logs on. There is a way of stopping it working - i'll have a look at some point.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i understand there are verious naughty ways to bypass the windows verification but the easiest is not to use windows auto updater or goto microsoft for your updates i understand that you can download update packages like this one (big download)

http://ap.manroweb.co.uk/filez/AutoPatcher_XP_Apr06_ENU_Full.exe

or if you want individual updates, go to
http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

where you can download updates without microsoft spying on you (which is what they're doing) or checking your windows version or putting cripping codes onto your pc to disable your *illegal* copys from working.

it is not ileagal to get your updates & downloads from third parties as these are the very same microsoft ones just no checking or spying.

i won't condone the use of ileagal copy's of software on this site by any of its users or those looking in that is a matter for your own conscience's

(ps:copy this info quick as i suspect it will not be here long !!)

C

Chris Pearson

I'm really not sure why my previous post was censored/removed as it pointed out quite succinctly (but humourously)the exact problem you have encountered,I had exactly the same problem which is why I had to reformat my hard drive as per my comment on Freds similar question recently.After taking my computer to be repaired they installed a dodgy copy of XP which worked for a while until the recent upgrades became available and then they sussed it out as a pirated copy.I had to start all over again and re-install my original XP disc.
Without a licensed copy you won't get any more security updates.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I just read that Tom and it might as well have been written in Chinese for all the sense it made to me

stikflote

Reaction score
i know of at three people who had same pop up about windows, now all three pc,s have gone down and will not boot up. this all came about from microsoft updates

njb51

Reaction score
Sorry Chris,

Nothing wrong with your post, it's just that two of the same thread were started and everyone was on this one.

C

Chris Pearson

Thanks for clearing that up Jonny :)
Seems that counterfeiting may be fairly prevalent?

J

john ledger

Fellow in a big car and an American accent just pulled up outside my house,they tell me his name is Bill

J

john ledger

"Sit down Mr Gates is it one lump or two in your coffee"