Aldi enter the cheap tackle market

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
My well meaning but non angler son in law showed me a leaflet today trumpeting that Aldi are selling fishing tackle in their stores, very cheaply this Sunday. Most of it seems to carry the label Cranesports. Anyone heard of them? When I say cheap I mean cheap (and possibly nasty to). We have a fishermans shelter for ?4.99, plus a telescopic carp rod with fixed spool reel and line for ?19.99 and an all round float road with reel etc for 11.99, both supposedly in carbon fibre. Anyone who can remember the Winfield brand at Woolworths will recognise the fishing set (pike bung size floats and barbed hooks) and the 'quality'. There is also a landing net with folding handle that looks like a trout style net with non safe mesh as far as I can tell. That costs ?5.99. Great value I suppose for starters but isn't it better to get kids down to their local tackle shop where they can be kitted out properly after ascertaining where they are fishing and what for? A good move ( by Aldi?) or bad for aspiring anglers? This stuff could seriously damage fish in inexperienced hands.

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
Quite agree Peter, cheap and nasty. And yes I do remeber the old woolies stuff! Is it legal to sell non safe nets??? Get the aspiring next generation anglers into a decent tackle shop that sells the correct kit and they will enjoy their fishing more I should think. I have not visited our local Aldi or seen any leaflet but being in a town with two rivers and miles of free fishing I should think its here as well!

S

Shrek

Can't comment on the fishing tackle, but I've had some of the Crane Sports clothing that they have sold, namely hiking shirts, cycling shoes and some breathable t-shirts. They're lasting fairly well, especially the shoes, so I'm happy with them.

Saying that, I've seen the tackle that Netto and Lidl sell and it's appalling, compared to normal branded tackle, so I presume Aldi will offer along the same lines. There's not a lot you can do about it though is there, unless you can be there to educate one or two that look at rods and stuff with an intent to buy it. If you could offer some advice that they took and send them to your LTS for decent advice and a good starter kit, then that would be excellent, buy you ain't going to stop Aldi selling it.

Deanos

Reaction score
The tackle is still a bit expensive to my eyes, but I have managed to get seven bus loads of fellow Yorkshire men ready to visit the nearest store on Saturday morning in the hope we might be able to haggle for a bulk discount!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
How Much!! What thee tryin to say? Great post Deanos. Cracked me up. Lets be careful we dont fall into the trap of stereotyping again!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've viewed most of this tackle and agree with the consenus here, most of it is crap.

Saying that, I think there is the odd decent buy to be had. I missed out on 50 nightlites for 3 quid, they sold out straight away. As rod top lights you can't go wrong can you? Better than 50p each, soon mounts up if you use 2 rods.

The only thing I've bought is a 5 led headlamp. Think it was 3 quid, or maybe 4, from Aldi. I bought it as a spare, it works fine.

Deanos

Reaction score
Thank you for your support Peter.

I am soon to submit an article to Graham entitled
?How to build a maggot farm in your living room?
I don?t know about you, but I am sick of paying such high prices for them.
(if anyone could tell me where I can get a couple of bullock carcases I would be very grateful).

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Funnily enough, the Winfield gear from Woolies did have it's uses! I bought a cheap 13 foot glass float rod for a holiday, anyway, i proceeded to fall down a hole in the riverbank and broke the top 8 inches off the rod. Being a tight ass, i decided later to convert it into a tip rod, i still have it, and still use it to good effect. I removed all the varnish, sanded the blank, sprayed it black(as it was a yukky brown shade) added a new set of guides, and made an adjustment to the handle. It's an excellent rod for Tench, and i've enjoyed taking Carp to about 8 pound on it. Not bad for about a tenner!

jimj40

Reaction score
Hey, Deanos - you don't need any bullocks! Maggots aren't fussy so just stop emptying the cat-tray and leave the window open so the flies can get in.

Mind you, you wouldn't want to do the old match-man's trick of keeping the maggots warm in your mouth when winter fishing.....

S

Sean Meeghan

Stop talking bullocks Deanos! We all know that chicken fed maggots are best. If you're going into mass production Ostriches might be a good substitute.

Deanos

Reaction score
Dear Sean and Jim, thank you for your advice on food for my planned industrial scale front room maggot farm.
I have now arranged a ready supply of dead meat via a contract with my local vet.
In my freezer I now have two dogs, several cats, a couple of rats and a guinea pig!
That was a cracking idea about the ostriches Sean!..I have now decided to keep them in the back garden for when the vets supply dries up, he charges me a crate of whiskey a week for the ?pet service??and no man?not even Ron can carry on drinking at that rate for long!
Next is a wormery, I have heard that by peeing on your compost heap, the worms breed at a fantastic rate!?can anyone throw more light on this?
Jim, my ex girlfriend used to liken my performance in bed to keeping a maggot in her mouth in winter...so I dont think that is very funny!

jimj40

Reaction score
Actually, Deanos, I think you're meant to pee on bales of straw to help them break down into compost. If you DO find that peeing on the compost heap produces lots of worms then you may need to visit your GP!

I'm sorry to hear about your ex, mate - I do hope that her departure wasn't due to your maggot turning into a caster.....or was it something to do with her not wanting to swallow?

jimj40

Reaction score
Back on topic - what on earth kind of a bivvy can be made to sell for under a fiver? And how exactly do the dimensions work out (24x120x120 cm)? Is it 10 inches tall, wide or deep?

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I called into a sports super-store by the name of Decathalon having heard of good deals on tackle and its true there was a lot of cheap gear on sale.But (and its a big but)all the gear by the big names i-e Shimano Daiwa Preston etc etc was the same prices as your local tackle shop. It seems to me to be false economy to patronise these outlets at the expense of your local because when he goes out of business you aint gonna get yous maggotts etc etc at six o clock in the morning from the spermarket are you?.

Deanos

Reaction score
Jim, from the dimensions, and if the kit is made in China, chances are it was made for very small Chinese carp fishermen, barring that, it sounds like you might get a large bin bag and a couple of gipsy clothes pegs to hold it together for your money!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
The bivvy was last used in the Borrowers.
PS Michael.Are you sure it was the u you missed? I think it reads better as a sperm market. You should see the talent in our local Tesco.

S

Steve King

Actually Peter not all the Woolworth's Winfield gear was crap (although most was!!), they used to sell packs of 15 Mustad hooks for 16p - I've still got a packet of size 1's unopened!

I also had a Woollies brolly for at least 12 years and only replaced it a couple of years ago when Mum & Dad bought me a new one for Christmas! The brolly is still going strong though - I gave it to a mate!

I never trusted the look of Woolworth's rods and reels though, but I do confess to buying a few of their floats!

I've not seen Aldi's gear, but it does not sound inspiring! Lidl's tackle was pretty poor with the notable exception of the waders (my brother has a pair in regular use). At least Argos are now selling known brands of tackle rather than rather shoddy obscure stuff.

At the end of the day if you do need to kit out a youngster there is some excellent stuff in your local tackle dealer for not a lot of money.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I wanted some Lidl's night lights, no chance they went like hot cakes, not surprised considering the cost.

Steve nice to see you and Cathy Monday, you obviously got out of cowboy country and back the the smoke OK.