thick or what float stops

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Right i've got a really stupid question, its the first time i've bought these float stops middy i think offhand the little oval shaped ones come on a piece of line and a ring.The question is HOW do you put them on !!!!!!!!!!! told you it was stupid ,they don't seem to have a hole that i can put my line through? obviously one there because they came off of line. so do you need a tool to put them on.
There you go thick as s--t first time used though.

T

tom riordan

put your line through the little loop that the stop is on, wet the loop and line and just pull the stop onto the doubled over line.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
It's awkward to re-use them, but if you have plenty of time and little money, you can thread them onto a very fine needle from which they can be threaded onto your line.

It's something to do when waiting for a bite when big fish hunting!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I think that if they were re-used, the inside diameter of the float stop would only wear bigger.
Alternatively, and I always do it anyway, is to learn how to tie the sliding stop knot and just put a small bead in front of it.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
I've got it bye jove !when you've finished for the session you simply cut the line off that you've been using as low down as possible with the stops still on, put the end of the line through a new loop of line tie the old single strand line onto the loop with as small a knot as poss and pull the NEW loop through the stop and hey presto its waiting for next time.Eventually it will get bigger but hey you gotta get ya moneys worth.!!!! Cos they're too expensive for using just once.And angling aint as cheap as it was.And i'm just tight .

T

tom riordan

There you go Rik, you have just taught a load of old dogs a new trick, well done!!!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Rik ,
Are you from Yorkshire - or Scotland ???

captain carrott

Reaction score
oooh that hurts that does ed, i'm from yorkshire an im not tight, bankrupt but not tight.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
There's nowt wrong with being careful.Too much money to throw away everytime you go fishing. I'm thinking of re-using them for something else once the bore is to big maybe save them up and thread them on some OLD line and flog them on e-bay as a NEW fashion item for the hippie fisherman as a necklace.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You know I'm only joking Jason ....

C

Chris Bishop

I stick these things on two at a time so they don't slip. They literally last for months, in fact I probably had to change them twice last winter.

When I used stop knots tied with Powergum, Amnesia etc they fell off after a few trips.

Nigel Smith 4

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just an idea from a newbie on the site but if it's your dedicated feeder reel line that the rubber stops are on, maybe they could stay on the line when you pack up rather than taking them off?

Rik Smith

Reaction score
So how are you suppose to get your rig off,if you pack your rod away?

Nigel Smith 4

Reaction score
Hook, snood & swivel come off when you cut the knot on the end of the reel line, slide off the rubber shock bead, slide off the run-ring/clip-swivel then steadily reel in the line through the rings. As the float-rubber(s) are used to give a bolt effect / catch weed they are nearest the rod end so can stay on. Maybe you're using a different set-up to me.