Sillybait

W

Wendy Perry

Hi Guys I'm off to turners pool in Macclesfield again on Thurs and someone told me to try sillybait have any of you lot tried it ?? if so is it worth buying.
They also told me to get a tin of cat food put food in warm water to get rid of jelly then drain it add sillybait in plastic food bag shake then leave over night in fridge what do ya reckon ??

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Wendy,
It's a good bait with or without the sillybait, although the sillybait makes it a little easier to handle and the smell & colour is attractive to fish with small bits popping off around the bait, but it's a very soft bait so you have to cast gently (keeping it in the fridge helps to firm it up a little), also use quite a large hook to help keep it on, better still use a hair rig to keep to whole hook free but you'll need some hair stops.

Good luck.

W

Wendy Perry

Thanks Rodney i have some hair stops little yellow things and some ready made hair rigs but one of the old guys showed me what to do if i ever run out of hair stops he got a peice of grass and just slid it under the ( at the time luncheon meat) and it kept on great.When i use these hair rigs do i use them, oh no i forgot what they are called now little metal things with a hole in either side of them to attach it to my line ?? I've always just used the meat or whatever i'm using at the time on my hook that is tied to my line .

R

Rodney Wrestt

To put the rig together follow these directions (if you can 'cause I know it will sound strange, however it is easier to do than describe. Honest).

On the end of the ready made rig there should be a small loop, once you have put on your float make one of about the same size on your reel line or as you said you could use a swivel as long as the hook can fit through for a loop to loop knot, or you can cut the loop of the top of the ready made rig and tie the line to each side of the swivel.

Pass the loop you made on the reel line through the one on the rig.

Then take the hook and pass it through the loop you made on the reel line.

Slide the line through until the loops come together and there you have it, this is called a loop to loop knot.

At the hook end of the rigs there will be a tag of line (the hair) with a small loop in it, when you put the cube of meat on (do you have a baiting needle?) slide it up until the loop starts to come out the bottom, pass a hair stop through the loop and slide the meat back down to rest on the stop.

All done. ;-~

P

peter webber

Wendy

Do you meen swivels?

As for the Sillybait I've used it quite a bit and it is good stuff I even done a review of the red on my site.

The tip you was given about the cat food and sillybait is also a good one and can work well. You can also do the same with luncheon meat.

Pete

W

Wendy Perry

yes rodney i bought a needle and i think i have the general idea .yes it was a swivel couldn't remember the name :eek:)

Hi peter yes i read that on your web site i am gonna try it and see i went to their site and it actually shows the cat food tip so i think that is what i shall do on my next carp trip next week thank you so much for help :eek:)

N

Nicky Garbutt

sillybait paste is good ive had my p.b tench on the strawberry stuff but nevr got carp on it.

W

Wendy Perry

Well i just bought a bag of it and i'll let you know how i get on i am off to Crewe tomorrow to a carp lake yesssssssss i can't wait now ;o)

W

Wendy Perry

no it's called Brookside fishery in Betley i went a few weeks ago it's great

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, I know the place. It used to be a trout fishery a few years ago. Bloke by the name of Dave Barrett used to own it but I don't know if he still does. Remember me to him if he's still there.

W

Wendy Perry

yeah thats the guy who owns it seems ok i will say hello to him for you tomorrow . Last time i went there he made us all bacon butties :eek:) Plus i don't care if it rains all bloody now I went to Alan Roe's house last night and he gave me a brolly yesssss awwwwww i was really pleased

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think Alan's got a soft spot for you Wendy. I offered him a bulk spool of line for a contribution the other week and he told me to give it to you. I'll make sure you get it soon.

W

Wendy Perry

nahhhhhh Graham i've got enough line to last me a lifetime :eek:) but thanks anyway

D

Dave O'L

I've never heard it called a 'brolly' before?????? Did Alan put it up for you Wendy?????? LOL
Sorry, I'll get my coat!

W

Wendy Perry

I'll just ignore that comment Dave :eek:) and theres a taxi waiting for you LOL

Grahm i said hi to dave for you and he said do you know Graham and how so i was telling him about the FISHINGmagic web site and about me appearing in the coarse fisherman he was gobsmacked heheheheh but he told me to say hi to you he said he was gonna show me something you did for him before we went but he never came back to me .
Anyway WOWWWWWWWWWWWW what a day i had i had 14 carp out of there today biggest 8lb and smallest 5lb and didn't catch a one on SILLYBAIT red lol i covered all my bait in this sillybait last night put it in the fridge to soak it up . However after all this preperation it didn't work so i ended up catching all of my fish on normal luncheon meat all day long . What a fantastic day i have had andddddd it didn't rain so i never got chance to use my new brolly .
Dave Barratt the guy who owns Brookside fishery has told me to tell you guys on here that it is half price fishing from November till February if yr interested so it would only be ?3 day ticket on Mon,tues and Thurs
Sorry it's a bit long guys i'm just so excited after my days fishing i wanna tell the world i now think it's time for a hot bath glass of wine and BED !!! :eek:)

P

peter webber

Way to go Wendy, glad you had a great day.
Shame about the sillybait after your work but it just goes to show nothing is 100% but don't give it up another day it could be the winning method as with most baits etc.

Pete

W

Wendy Perry

I will try the silly bait again tho i'm not gonna give up on it .
I'll tell you what i did use tho the guys wife made us some sausage and egg butties and i used one of the sausages chopped it up to use as bait and i caught every time i cast in with it LOL i am gonna take some on Thurs to try :eek:)