Stripping basket

I

Ian Cloke

I'm looking to buy a stripping basket, but don't really know what to look for?? If anyone could please give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated:))

I want it for Thrybergh res, as it is very sandy/stoney where I normally fish there.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The Sparton Shovel is probably the best in the business.

S

Shrek

So, probably, is the William Joseph Wading Belt with integral stripping basket.

So, probably, is the Orvis Stripping Basket.

So, probably, is a washing up bowl strapped round your waist.

Have you used the Sparton one Ron? If so, how does it compare to other's you've tried?

I

Ian Cloke

Thanks guys.

Adrian, don't you think the "prongs"(on the flexistripper) could interfere with your casting?

S

Shrek

No I don't. As they are flexible, they don't interfere at all. If you watch the movie clips on the website, you'll see how it all fits together.

FWIW, the guy casting is Carl Hutchinson. World record distance casting champion for a couple of years in the #5 and #7 class. Also a top casting instructor easily on a par, if not better than, Hywel Morgan.

I

Ian Cloke

Just found a William Joseph Wading Belt for ?20 delivered. So that is looking favourite just now, as long as it is big enough for my dainty waist.

Adrian, having seen the clips, I'm not overly convinced about the prongs? As you say, the guy casting is world class, so could probably cast out of a bed of 6" nails, I on the other hand, am far from that standard. I would however like to see someone use one, then perhaps I could change my mind. Thanks for the advice though mate;))

R

I have not used the Sparton Shovel. In fact I haven't used a line tray (better term) for years. However due to the design, if I wanted one, I would get the Sparton Shovel. And it's not because Steve Parton is a mate of mine.

Not the cheapest, just the best, according to people who have used it.

Cost, about ?30.

R

It may be Ian, but I don't like the name.

It infers that it's designed for "stripping", which in fly fishing terms means retrieving the line as quick as possible. Most of my fly fishing is performed using a figure-of-eight and drop retrieve which is often performed as slowly as possible.

The term: "line tray" is much better.

Many will think that a "stripping basket" is where you chuck your dirty clothes before washing them. :eek:)

G

Ged

Ian, beware of the line tray, as they used to be known.
Had one once and was glad to throw it.
As Ron says, he uses trhe figure-of-eight and drop retrieve which is the same as I use when fishing nymphs. I found that no matter how careful I was, the fly line in the tray always ended up in a birds nest and needed sorting before my next cast.

R

The main reason for getting tangles in line trays is not letting a loop drop outside the tray before dropping the line into the try.

This means that when you cast you tend to lift the bunch of coiled line and cause a birds nest.

With modern long distance casting lines such the the Michael Evans Arrowhead, this will not happen, believe me.

I only very rarely get tangles in my backing these days.

G

Ged

I felt the line tray I had was too small, and it has put me of using them.

R

The Sparton Shovel is certainly not small.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
So are line trays, or stripping trays, or whatever you want to call them, designed primarily for river or stillwater applications?

I mainly fish rivers. I've had problems with my spare line drfiting downstream. When I try to shoot line it's slowed considerably by the fact that it has to be pulled 'upstream'. There again the one time I fished the club reservoir I had problems with the loose line tangling around foliage!

G

Ged

Hi Ric
Can be used in all aplications includding aboard boat. It does help to stop your line getting tangled on rocks and stones, keeps it clean when fishing from gravel banking etc. Will help stop line pull when on rivers. Helps stops standing on line when in a boat.
But, does cause birds nests unless you follow Rons advice.

jago

Reaction score
Adrian, In my opinion he is better, but im biased as i spent time fishing on a one to one with Carl ,
I to was a bit dubious about all the claims about the flexi-stripper but i bought one and it is a great asset , couple of the guys at the last social we had at blagdon tried casting one with the flexi-stripper one without the difference between the two casting was huge the flexi-stripper winning everytime!
Ian contact carl he may send you one on aproval

R

I would never bother with a line tray if I was fishing rivers.

jago

Reaction score
why would you want to on a river? not exactly going for distance more accuracy than anything