PAC Concern Over Lake District

G

Gary Knowles

Its interesting to see that the EA intends to ban the use of most livebaits yet allow the use of minnows.

As these are mainly used by game anglers fishing for trout is this another example of the EA passing laws which favour game fishermen?

Besides this though, whether you personally agree with livebaiting or not (and I do), I urge FISHINGmagic members to write to the addresses shown to voice their displeasure at the roughshod way the EA are treating predator anglers. It may be easy to say, "well it doesn't affect me - I don't pike fish, or I don't fish in the lake District", but who's to say the next idiotic law they try and pass won't be for a species or water that WILL directly affect you.

Think about it - let them know we care about our rights as fishermen and lets stand up for ourselves. Once again I see this as another thin end of yet another wedge.

And before anyone asks, yes I do know this is posted on the general and not the predator section - that's because ultimately I fell it could affect ALL of us !

C

Chris Bishop

This is the thin end of a very big wedge, whatever your views are.

G

Gary Knowles

Chris - Correct, we should all be very concerned over this. Pike anglers or not.

Wendy - the address's to write to and the article in question can be found linked to the top of this thread.

C

Chris Bishop

This all stems from something called the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Review.

Here's what it says:

8 Livebaiting with fish
8.1 We received conflicting evidence on this topic. Many people, including anglers, were
opposed to livebaiting because they considered it to be cruel. Some anglers, on the other
hand, did not accept that excessive cruelty was involved and regarded livebaiting as a
traditional, and acceptable, practice. As a Group, we did not feel that we had the expertise
to reach a judgement on the ethical issues involved in this debate. We have, however,
considered the potential impact of livebaiting on fish populations in the aquatic
environment.
8.2 It is clear from the evidence we have received that livebaiting can lead to transfers of fish
used as bait from one water to another, and that these unauthorised introductions can have
a significant impact on resident fish populations in the receiving water. We were told, for example, that ruffe, roach and dace introduced into Bassenthwaite as unwanted livebait
have had a serious impact on one of Britain’s rarest freshwater fish, the vendace; the
Bassenthwaite population of this fish is one of only two in Great Britain. To deal with
problems of this sort the Environment Agency submitted for confirmation, during the
course of our Review, a byelaw making it an offence to take fish for use as livebait unless
the fish are retained at and used only in the water from which they are taken. If this byelaw
is confirmed and is subsequently observed by anglers, it will largely address the problems
specified above. However, in our view more far-reaching measures are required in
particularly sensitive locations where the impact of any introductions on either rare fish
populations or the freshwater ecosystem may be severe.
Where the release or escape of fish used as livebait could have an adverse impact on a valuable
freshwater ecosystem or a rare fish population, the Environment Agency should ban the use of
livebait in the water in question. (Recommendation 56)
8.3 We remain concerned that the byelaw stipulating that livebait may be used only in the
water from which they are taken will be impossible to enforce and could be widely
disregarded. If this proves to be the case, we would wish the Environment Agency to go
further and ban the use of livebait on all rivers, canals, streams and lakes. On totally
enclosed waters it should be for the owner or fisheries manager to decide whether to accept
the risk of introducing disease by permitting the use of livebait.
If there is evidence that the byelaw stipulating that livebait may be used only in the water from
which they are taken is being widely disregarded, the Environment Agency should ban the use of
fish as livebait in all unenclosed waters. (Recommendation 57)

G

Gary Knowles

Chris,

True, I have read that report, but don't forget they are also trying to ban the use of dead coarse fish as bait in the lakes. As far as I can see if this ridiculous state of affairs continues coarse fish deads will be banned on a lot ore waters than just the lakes.

S

Stuart Johnson

Gary,

You are quite right this is a thin edge of a massive wedge. They are just going to far and I have no doubt it will lead to other bans on other waters that will affect all anglers. I will write and voice my objections and I urge all anglers to do the same.

D

David Will

Yes same goes for me.
I felt the threat of a coarse deadbait ban was one they would concede so as to make the bitter pill of livebaiting be easier to swallow.Do not be conned ,write in . While I am at it everyone should be aware that in Scotland the same is being tried. www.esoxecosse.co.uk is where to find out.All predator anglers should unite on this regardless of your chosen method of fishing.

D

Dave O'L

I can understand concerns about livebaits, as for example Windermere now has a head of Roach, but can anyone highlight for me the reason/rationale for banning deadbaits?

K

keith reid

I think its mega important that we all write / send letters to the addresses given. A sample letter can be downloaded from the pac website . (www.pacgb.com).
In addition I think we should also send letters to the tourist info. offices in places like Ambleside and Windermere . They will be desperate for our custom esp. after the foot and mouth this year. We could remind them that Scotland is only a little further than the lakes......
I am sure they will have a say on the matter at the end of the day.

G

Gary Knowles

Good point Keith.

Although judging by the number of responses on this thread it looks like angling will be hit once more by its biggest enemy - the apathy of anglers themselves.......

P

Paul Williams

Gary is right you know!!! we all bury our head in the sand thinking it doesn't affect me, well it does!!!!......even if you aint a piker, once bans start to be effected it will escalate untill every whim of thoses who appose us is catered for......if you want your kids/grandkids to be able to dabble with a fishing rod and a worm then back angling on this one......and i will say it again.....it's not just piking!!
Consider mine Sent Gary.

G

Gary Knowles

I'll have a look on the PAC site later Paul, it should tell you there if this is possible.

A

Alan Roe

Have now recieved formal byelaw proposals from the EA (NW Region) including the dreaded bait restrictions applicable in Cumbria:

In or on the following named lakes:-

Windermere, Coniston, Wast**ter, Ennerdale Water, Crummock Water, Buttermere, Loweswater, Bassenthwaite, Derwent**ter, Brotherswater, Ullswater, Red Tarn, Haweswater and Thirlmere;

(a) Use of any dead or alive freshwater fish, salmonids or eels as bait is prohibited ; and

(b) possesssion of any live or dead freshwater fish, salmonids or eels with the intention of using them as bait is prohibited.

The byelaw changes will be advertised in the week ending November 2nd 2001 and any objections to the confirmation of these byelaws should be made in writing within one month of that date (ie. before December 3rd) to:

Department for the Environment, Fisheries and Rural Affairs
Room 308
Nobel House
17 Smith Square
London
SW1p 3JR

and copied to:

Mr J Cracken
Regional Director
Environment Agency
Richard Fairclough House
Knutsford Road
Warrington
WA4 1HG

The letter doesn't state when the EA intend to confirm the proposed byelaw changes.

P

Paul Williams

This one deserves to be sent back near the top.....to remind the lethargic amongst us!!

P

Paul Williams

Sorry Mike/other grafters!!.......i'm not quite as busy as i could/should be at the moment as you know....in fact i may fish 3 times this week!!.....if the missus don't twig on! ;o)

G

Gary Knowles

Try and get it back to the the top then Paul.....come on guy's wake up - we shouldn't be dictated to how we fish.....