Fishing Eire

Nobby Womball

Reaction score
Hi Peeps,
Just thought I would drop you a word of warning,I have just returned from a fishing holiday to southern ireland.It seems that the irish govt in their wisdom have descided to allow an influx of Lithuanians 6000 to be exact.These are situated 2000 at Edenderry, 2000 at Carrickmacross & 2000 somewhere else.Now I am a live and let live sort of person but these people are totally wrecking some very good fishing lakes.They have had 40ft nets in the canal at Edenderry they were caught by the Garda and members of the local fishing club subsequently they attacked the garda with hammers & baseball bats.Another lake affected is Duffy's lake at Carrick the farmer is at his wits end and has threatened to close the lake to all anglers,they have been caught taking swans of various waters, they are confrontational,arrogant and threatening.So be warned don't leave your gear out at night unattended, (like you used to be able to do)don't wander about on your own at night. The irish people we met were not to happy about the situation,some of the stories we heard were terrible,crime rate gone up muggings, knifeings,rapes and it seems that not all visitors are welcome.Two irish anglers fishing Corcorin lake were stoned one night.Now this was the 25 year of visiting and sadly may be the last.I could go on, they can't all be bad can they? (we met a few not nice on your holidays an I'm 6ft 1 and 16.5 stone) watch your backs literally.

fred hall

Reaction score
Just what Irish coarse fishing didn't need! Thanks for the warning Nobby, sounds like even the Irish are going to have to take notice of this mess. It is almost unbelievable how a fantastic natural resource like their fishing has been allowed to go down the pan. Me, ever the optimist, well I'm going over again in September.

Nobby Womball

Reaction score
Hi Fred,
Best of luck in September, its terrible I for one did not feel comfortable in what should be my home country although I was born and bred in England my desendants were irish,Like I said even the friendly banter seems to have disappeared,the locals treat you with suspicion until they find out you are English.I for one love ireland and its quaint little towns but if they (the govt)don't do something and quickly then what used to be the a mini invasion by the british anglers will come to an end.In ten days we saw two british people a chap and his wife he fishing she knitting and that was it,it used to be crawling with anglers around Killishandra but not one was seen,and the weather was dire to say the least it rained for ten days and was very windy. Killykeen park the levels were so high you could not fish, the restaurant stretch was up past the trees, foxholes under water all in all not ideal.Please don't be put off going to ireland just be a little more careful, it is definately changing and becoming more like Britain crime wise every day.
Regards Nobby

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Knowing the Irish I think these Lithuanians might rue their selfish actions, and they will rue it big style too. Irish people are, in the main, very friendly and welcoming but they make very bad enemies as these immigrants will no doubt find out and they don't do things in half measures either.

I love Ireland, its friendliness, its olde worlde values and the warmness of the people and hate to think they are reducing themselves to our level as a result of immigration, it doesn't bear thinking about.

E

EC

Can't comment on the crime levels etc, as the last time I went to eire was 1995, to co clare!

But even back then the locals told us to stay away from certain lakes/systems as they were fishless, having apparently been netted on a large scale by what they said were local organised crime gangs!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Eddie, that may well be the case, fish stealing was prevalent in Ireland in the 80's and 90's and I'll give three guesses who bought the fish - yup, the English pool owners. Most of the fish, mainly bream, died within weeks and the buyers usually suffered a big fish kill as a result of the illegally transferred fish bringing disease with them. I know of at least three well known match pools in the midlands that suffered massive fish kills as a result of introducing big bream bought illegally from Ireland.

Serves them right but what a shame for the fish. The trouble is, in Ireland bream and the like are not considered of any value (except to the tourist trade) pike, trout and salmon are the only fish they are interested in the rest are treated with disdain.

E

EC

I've a feeling many bream and roach may also have ended up in market stall fish counters throughout this side of europe Graham.

Local fellas we spoke to reckon as soon as they were netted they were then being professionally transported to here and the continent for human consumption mate.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i can personally vouch for the arrogance and unwillingness of some lithuanians to abide by the law of the land show some common decency and respect to others around them....we have 5-6 of them living next door to us,i say 5-6 because there are that many comings and goings,we just dont know how many live there for sure.
we have had so much trouble with noise/music/shouting/screaming/fighting in the street and in the house next door plus the continuation to drive the wrong way up a one way street and driving cars without road tax and more than likey no insurance,we have had to get the council,enviromental health and the police involved!!!
it has culminated in my self successfully getting one of their cars towed away by the council for being driven and parked on a public highway without road tax,a front number plate and a missing front headlamp.
the vehicle was registered to one of them next door according to a council representative but when he knocked and asked where the owner was etc to serve notice upon him,they denied any knowledge of the car and who owned it etc...!!!

C

Chris Bishop

Can we watch some of the allegations about people from different cultures to ours and remember this is a public site anyone can access.

Nobby Womball

Reaction score
Chris,
I quite agree with your comment some of them must be ok,the problem is they are now living in our culture or should be.If you move to a foreign country you should abide by the laws of that land, we have mini india's mini pakistan's mini somalia's soon we wont have enough minis to go round! I have had personal experience of the lithuanians and the ones i met were not a nice bunch!And personally i am not anti anybody

T

The Monk

yes people are people regardless of their ethnicity, good and bad in all races including own own of course, the problem is however that different cultures have different values, its important for anyone to enters a new country to show respect for that countries values and laws, its so easy for a few bad apples to mark an entire race, which is wrong of course