Gardening question...

E

EC

In my garden there is a small wall behind which is the fence between mine and a neighbouring property.

In between the fence and wall lives a weed/triffid like thing about 6 inches wide at the bottom!

Its crawled up the fence, and interwoven with the trellis at the top, I have cut it back lots of times but still it grows.

It has to go, I can't chop it down because of the wall and fence and can't get a spade in to dig it out.

Suggestions please!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Round up! Not the standard stuff from garden centres, but the concentrate from agricultural suppliers. Use a paint brush and apply onto the leaves.

Deanos

Reaction score
Eddie, try putting a long plastic pipe or tube into the earth next to it, and keep topping it up with weed killer until it fettles the blighter! The plastic tube used for running cables though would do the trick. Fill it up using a funnel every day for a week, n see what happens.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Anything containing Glyphosate is what you need --its a systemic weedkiller--just spray/paint it on leaves and stem and it will be taken down to the roots by the plant and then kills the roots .....

E

Eric Hayes

If you can get at the stem drill it close to the root with the biggest drill bit you've got and fill the hole with Diesel.
You may have to fill it a few times for the Diesel to kill it fully.

It worked on an Ivy my mate had growing up his house.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"If you can get at the stem drill it close to the root with the biggest drill bit you've got and fill the hole with Diesel."

This might allow it to drive off and annoy a neighbour, good post :eek:}

Do as the Wise old Sage says, but if its that big I would use sodium chlorate, mix it in a bucket, use rubber gloves, wipe the plant liberally all over with the solution. It will take more than one application but it will kill it. Systemic killers work much better than ordinary weedkillers because they attack the root not just the visible part, initially though the plant appears to grow bigger but don't despair it will die.

E

Eric Hayes

Graham, I'm not talking gallons, 20/30ml max. The plant absorbs the Diesel into the root and it kills it. Ivy is notoriously difficult to deal with but not if you put Diesel into the main stem.

E

EC

Well I've followed your advice lads but I swear as I was drilling, the branches started closing around me.

The concentration of chlorate chemicals in my back garden is now so high, I need an NBC suit to go out, I might have some explaining to do if the anti terrorist lads come through the front door.

F

Frothey

get my wife to touch it, everything she touches shrivels and dies......

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

"get my wife to touch it, everything she touches shrivels and dies......"
No Dave, that's called an post-orgasm shrinkage.

Eddie, you need about 100 lbs of good fertiliser. Dig a big hole underneath the weed. Mix the fertiliser with an accelerator, sodium chlorate and a few pounds of sugar will do and pack all of this in plastic bags in the hole. Attach detonator and make sure the wires are about 200 feet long and after blowing a horn connect them to a battery. Now explain your purpose to the police and the bomb squad and don't mention my name. Tell the insurance company that you house was subject to groundslip.

Alternatively, move.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
If you are going to use gloves to apply a systemic weed killer make sure the gloves have no holes in them, and for safety reasons where a pair of washing up gloves underneath the thick plastic, rubber gardening gloves. Secondly to get the weed killer to stick better add some wallpaper paste to the solution.

P

Phil Heaton

Also wear a headscalfe, mini skirt and turned down wellies to complete the Freddie Mercury experiance....just don't bend over the fence to long.