Breathable waders

• Thread starter jonathan warrener
  • Start date
J

jonathan warrener

I've got a pair of breathable chesties.
They've developed leaks in both legs - what seems to have happened is, that as I have walked they have rubbed together and worn through on the seams around the inside of the knee. Could be my fault for being a bit of a short **** making them extra wrinkly!
Does anyone know what I can use to patch up the offending areas?

S

Sean Meeghan

You should have got a repair kit with them Jonathon. If you didn't I'd suggest giving the manufacturer a call as they are bound to have one and will recommend the best procedure.

One worrying thought is that repairing an inner leg seam may not work very well as this is where the maximum wear occurs as you've already found out!

J

jonathan warrener

No didn't get a repair kit with them, but just googled it and found you can buy repair kits for them. Looks like I'll be getting one. Hopefully the patch will cover the area that takes the wear and help to stop it wearing through again.

B

Budgie Burgess

Sorry if Im being thick but do you mean Neoprene by breathable?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What are the best value for money lightweight waders these days? My old pvc waders hit the bin a couple of months ago and I am totally out of date with modern waders, they used to be murder getting them on and off as well but they don't look to be made the same these days, short boots etc and different materials.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

No Budgie, there are PTFE lined waders now, like the Goretex jackets etc. I expect that's what he means.

Good tip though, if they are this kind of material, always keep them clean and free from dust and mud. Wash them in soap, not detergents.

B

Budgie Burgess

Cheers Jeff,like Graham Im obviously not at the cutting front when it comes to wader design!

J

jonathan warrener

That's right Jeff, like a Gore-Tex type stuff but the boot part is neoprene lined for warm(er) toes in the winter.
Sunday night I was tramping about along the river bank looking for rising brownies, wouldn't have liked to do that in this weather in full neoprene chesties.
I think the breathables are the better option for all-season use as you can always wear warm clothing underneath in the winter, whereas neoprene would be too hot more often than not - but comes into it's own if you're gonna spend a long time stood in icy water in the depths of winter.

B

Budgie Burgess

Yes Neoprene is a bitch in the heat.Any one got a link to some of these "Gortex" type waders?

S

Sean Meeghan

Seriously though, most breathable waders on the market today are pretty good. I'm on my second pair of stocking foot ones (they have a neoprene sock instead of a boot and you wear a seperate boot rather like a hiking boot). The first pair failed in the seam on the neoprene foot section after 4 years. This proved impossible to repair reliably and I bought a new pair of Diawa ones because they were on offer. You should be able to get a pair for about ?60 to ?80 if you shop around.

I don't know if the more expensive ones offer any advantages as both of my pairs have been well below ?100. One useful tip is to use a cheap pair of hiking or work boots for general use and buy a pair of felt soled wading boots for wading on stoney rivers. Felt soles are lethal on wet grass and slimey mud. Simply poke a few holes in the sides of the hiking boots just above the sole to drain any water. Always use a gravel guard to prevent mud and grit getting into the boot as this is the best way to ruin them.

One thing I have found is that I now wear the breathables instead of waterproof trousers in wet conditions as they NEVER leak even when knelt on or sitting in a soaked chair.

B

Budgie Burgess

What are they like if you go in? ie old rubber chesties were a killer if you fell in and were not suitable to wear in a boat because of this.Neoprene you are ok with.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I think neoprenes get undeserved bad press.

OK they are a nightmare to walk any distance in when you're out of the water.

When you're in the water though, even in high summer, they are comfortable and practical. Practical in that they are reasonably hard wearing, need no maintenance, and are pretty inexpensive.

S

Sean Meeghan

On any chest waders, except perhaps for neoprenes, it important that you wear a belt round the waist of the waders. Some waders have one built in and with some you have to buy one. This stops water rushing in when yo first fall in. After that the air trapped in the legs acts as a pretty effective bouyancy aid. Neoprenes tend to be a lot closer fitting so have less need for a belt. I'd always chosse breathables over neoprenes in warm weather because neoprenes get a bit sweaty.

S

Sean Meeghan

I always wear a live jacket in a boat (have a squint at my thumbnail) so I'm protected on two counts. Some fisheries, misguidedly in my opinion, don't allow waders in boats. Although I might ban thigh waders on second thoughts.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Chest waders are tottaly safe if you fall in. I have a video Salmo the leapear it shows Hugh Falkus throwing himself in the river. Its a classic sequenceif you get the chance to see it.

He did this to demenstrate how safe it is. This was with the old pvc type of waders. The new types should be no different.

J

jonathan warrener

Ha ha I saw that clip on Screaming Reels yesterday which they are re-running on Discovery Real Time.