15lb mono

barney10

Reaction score
My lake i'm fishing the rules state that 15lb mainline must be used .I've only ever used 12lb and never felt the need to go up but rules are rules .Now i have just loaded 15lb Fox Soft Steel on to my reels ,using the bulk line in a bucket of water .The problem what i've had is the line is very twisty and springy is this something i have done or is it a faulty batch ?

Any ideas ,not just for me but also other forum readers !

Cheers all :w

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
FIrst of all, have a read of this and watch the film in it. Did you line come off the spool like it shows?

Secondly, you picked a good line there, but 12lbs would probably have been OK. Forget the rules, an average 15lbs line is about .35mm diameter and SoftSteel 12lbs is .35mm dia, I have some here. Your 15lbs is probably around .38mm, typical of an 18lbs line. Poundage is not always perfect, go for diameter, no one will know.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
No! ;) ;)

I'm suggesting he buys a line based on diameter and doesn't read the B/S because most are a load of *******s. Buy Sufix 15lbs - .35mm, Adrena-line 15lbs - .35mm, Ultima Power Plus - .32mm, Shimano Catana - .35mm.

In fact there's loads of 15lbs line that are no thicker than .35mm and if you test Soft Steel 12lbs, it breaks at about 18lbs or so if I remember. There was a table of tests that some tackle shop did, but my page bookmark comes up blank now. Thing is, put a .35 on and tell them it is a 15lbs or they can test it.